MINI WSM OR 18.5"OTS SMOKER, ECONOMY MODEL

LDean

TVWBB Member
TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!

Since starting the original thread on the SJ Mini WSM, I have made 5 for relatives and friends. I have come up with an economy model, which avoids the cost of the Tamale pot, which many can not find locally. This method can also be used for making a smoker using the 18.5" Weber Silver or Gold kettle, but would probably be a little flimsy on a 22.5" kettle..

I found 10" by 10' rolls of aluminum roof flashing, $7.53 at Lowes, thin, but with two thicknesses, and pop riveted it will work fine. Longer rolls are also available and it would be easy to reduce the length/height, say 5"-8", for a Micro Mini, by cutting with an radial grinder with a thin blade, while it is still rolled and taped. A 10'roll is sufficient to make a SJ barrel or a barrel for the 18.5 kettle. Just attach aluminum screen door handles for the side handles and use short screws to hang the cooking rack or a rack to hold the grease catcher. The flashing comes rolled up, under some tension, just set it down on top of the SJ or kettle, cut the tape holding the roll together, and let it expand to fit the base. Then make sure the top is horizontal and the bottom of the flashing is pushed into the indented base, before riveting. Use small rivets, drill holes to hold install small pop rivets to keep it from unrolling further, drilling thru both thicknesses of the flashing. It works Ok to set the SJ or kettle lid on top, but since there is no ledge, it could be better.

However, if anyone is interested in making a Mini Bullet or Micro Mini Bullet,(see page 24 on the SJG Mini thread for photos) it is ideal. I used an inverted Weber SJS base as the top, as it fits perfectly on top of the barrel made of the roof flashing. It is not as sturdy as the Tamale pot, but will work fine.

Will try to post some photos later, R & D continues.

Larry(LDEAN)

LDEAN ....just wanted to say thanks for the sj mini smoker idea.I have used mine a lot...just the two of us now.Today I smoked two 5 lb butts ,,,12 people with lots left.This is he second time smoking two butts...so if anyone says is just for small cooks ....wrong.
It is just so economical and easy clean up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Powered by Social Strata </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Glen, I have been amazed by the popularity of the conversion. I find the Mini conversion posted on almost every BBQ website. It is interesting to see how many versions have evolved since the thread was started.

Like you, all of my smoking is done on the mini. I have a big Cajun Bandit conversion, which has not been fired up in 18 months. I bought it to smoke beef brisket and pork ribs, but approaching 70, I have cut back on my grease intake. I smoke small pork beef clod, small ,lean pork shoulders, whole chickens, and pork loin more than anything else, for the two of us. I really like not using water in smokers and the resulting nasty cleanup.

Back