I Met Myron Mixon Friday

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
I'm new to bbq and just got my first smoker a few weeks ago. BBQ Pitmasters, along with sites like this one have been educational to say the least.

Some friends and I went to a small bbq competition in Bel Air, MD Friday night seeking brisket- the first comp I've attended. I walk 20 steps into the festival and look to my right, there's a black pop up canopy and Myron Mixon is talking to a few people. I was stunned, and slightly intimidated at the thought of speaking to him. We walked around a bit, ate some bad food, and then we went back and I just walked up and said hello, that I was a fan. I slightly braced myself in case he went off on me.

He could not have been nicer. We talked about why he was there (a friend cooking brought him up there and he was cooking. His first time in MD), the TV show, peach wood, the cast of Pitmasters, etc. I got the feeling he would have talked for as long as I wanted, I was trying to not push too hard for information. I've thought about taking his class and he mentioned the spring and fall classes are the best to attend. He patiently posed for pictures. He'll definitely tell you what he's thinking, but he was easy going and a pleasure. I'm impressed. He said Tuffy was there but I couldn't find him anywhere.

BTW, we got bbq from the vendor with the longest line in the festival. The pork was dry, the ribs over cooked...but I swear the brisket was chuck roast. That was very disappointing. But meeting Myron made my night.

Wow Alan, pretty cool. I would have been intimidated also, thinking he would go off also, especially with answering questions. I could not see the YouTube on my iPad, maybe just me. I will try to check it out on my regular computer.

Very Cool, Alan. He was at a contest I attended in Huntsville, AL about three years ago under much the same circumstances you describe. However, I got there Saturday morning and all the teams were starting to work on turn-ins, so I knew enough not to approach him. He had an entourage around him that almost looked like a security detail.

I did get to meet Troy Black at that contest, however, and now he and I talk every few weeks. He's been on the road all year coordinating the Sam's Club events. I shudder to think how many miles he has put on his motor home!

Pat

Very cool Alan! I wish you could have invited him here for a little Q&A. I have been using peach wood for butts now thanks to him.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

What can you say about Myron? He is definately honest and you will get a clear opinion from him (good or bad). I've cooked against him about 6 or 8 times now and I've seen several competitiors ask him to try their Q after turn-ins. Never stuck around long enough to see the opinion come back. I've never seen much point in asking him to do that.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that the show makes him out to be this really mean guy who appears to enjoy kicking people to the dirt. Although I don't know him personally, every time I've seen or talked to him he comes across as a really nice guy who just doesn't put up with a lot of BS. Just have to remember that he's there to run his business which is winning prize money or selling his products.

Russ

Alan, COOL! I have been following his comp schedule to see his placings recently. His site doesn't have him competing again till the 26/27th. Glad to hear he was reasonable in person. I kinda thought that the TV persona, might be just that. At any rate I will find out in person next month as I take a trip to GA, and see his hospitality up front. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Mark

Not so sure the BBQ Bash in Bel Air would be considered "small".

Almost all the major teams were competing.

75 teams altogether.

Back