BSCB's on the OTG

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Found some BSCB's on sale for $1.79/lb. at a local grocery and bought a few packages for future dinners that were vacuum sealed & frozen. I made homemade stir fry chicken & beef for dinner on Sunday, and I found an alleged copycat recipe for a ginger salad dressing that was supposed to be like they serve in Japanese teppanyaki restaurants that I tried. Let's just say that this recipe wasn't exactly like the restaurant stuff
icon_frown.gif
, but I found a use for it anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rather than throw it away, I used it to marinade some BSCB's yesterday while we were at work. When I got home, I rinsed them off, patted them dry and sprinkled with a little Plowboys Yardbird rub. Started the OTG with half a chimney full of some new briquettes that I got from our local GFS store. These briqs were about 50% larger than regular Stubb's or K blue, and I had nearly half a chimney left over from Friday's cook, so I figured I would reuse them along with some fresh charcoal. So far, they are very good - low ash, long burn time and no problem maintaining heat for the duration of a couple of cooks. They were $8 for a 20 lb. bag. Not a bad price.

OK, enough rambling. Started the chicks indirect with one cherry chunk for flavor, then moved to the hot side once they warmed up a little. As you can see, the fire was very small, but my grill was still more than hot enough for the cook.
0130121818a-1.jpg

To sauce or not to sauce. That was the question. The fam said sauce 'em, so I hit them with a little Sweet Baby Ray's and let the sauce glaze for a few minutes.
0130121825c.jpg

Pulled them @ 150° and let them rest for a few minutes on the counter while I got the plates together.
downsized_0130121835a.jpg

Whipped up some red wine vinaigrette for a romaine salad (not grilled, unfortunately.), along with some cheddar jack cheese and some toasted almonds too. Made up some julienned cheesy potatoes in the oven, just because it was convenient. Shoulda made them on the grill too, since I had some room left over. Oh well. Next time I will try that for sure.

Plated goodness. Simple, easy and fairly quick - from fridge to table in less than an hour.
0130121841.jpg

Thanks for looking.
icon_cool.gif

Terrific looking meal Jim!
Great price on the BSCB's too, I just paid a buck ninety nine and thought it was a deal.

Great looking meal! What brand of briquettes were they? Maybe I can find some here in Georgia. I normally use Stubbs all the time, but am willing to try something that will last a little longer.

Mike -

They were GFS (Gordon Food Service) store brand briquettes.

GFS

We have a retail store not far away and I bought a bag of their briquettes to try. From what I have read, it is repackaged Royal Oak briquettes for GFS.

Back