Best source for All Clad cookware?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I want to buy a couple of open stock All Clad pots. Who has the best prices? Or is it like Weber grills--most everyone sells for the same price?

Regards,
Chris

Chris, be sure you "handle" the All-Clad pans, especially if you are considering skillets, saucepans, and saute pans.

I bought a 12-inch skillet and a 4-quart saucepan when Macy's had an unusually good sale on All-Clad about a year ago and they do cook well. But I have an issue with the skillet and saucepan handles. For me, they are too narrow and they twist easily in my hand, especially when they are fairly full. I have to use a 2-handed grip when tossing a mirepoix, for example, or when emptying foods from either of the pans into a bowl to keep them from rotating sideways in my hand. The difference in our hand sizes and grips might make a difference, but I thought I'd mention it. I'm sorry I bought them.

Frankly, it's my opinion that Cook's Illustrated is in bed with All-Clad and they are doing their readers a disservice for recommending them so highly across the board without once mentioning about the thin, narrow handles on the pieces that I mentioned. I don't have any All-Clad Dutch ovens or stockpots. I'm sure they are fine as long as one can get his hands under the handles without hitting the side of the pot. I haven't checked how high the handles are raised over the side of the pots.

Rita

Chris - You may want to look at cookwarenmore.com. They sell All Clad irregulars for a substantial price cut. The ones I have purchased from them usually have a small surface blemish which you really have to seach for and I have not experienced any negetive impact in their performance.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Chris, be sure you "handle" the All-Clad pans, especially if you are considering skillets, saucepans, and saute pans.

I bought a 12-inch skillet and a 4-quart saucepan when Macy's had an unusually good sale on All-Clad about a year ago and they do cook well. But I have an issue with the skillet and saucepan handles. For me, they are too narrow and they twist easily in my hand, especially when they are fairly full. I have to use a 2-handed grip when tossing a mirepoix, for example, or when emptying foods from either of the pans into a bowl to keep them from rotating sideways in my hand. The difference in our hand sizes and grips might make a difference, but I thought I'd mention it. I'm sorry I bought them.

Frankly, it's my opinion that Cook's Illustrated is in bed with All-Clad and they are doing their readers a disservice for recommending them so highly across the board without once mentioning about the thin, narrow handles on the pieces that I mentioned. I don't have any All-Clad Dutch ovens or stockpots. I'm sure they are fine as long as one can get his hands under the handles without hitting the side of the pot. I haven't checked how high the handles are raised over the side of the pots.

Rita

I'll second that with the handles. While my mitts are pretty big, the skillet and small pot handles are very narrow. I have no issue with any of the stock pots I have. As far as where to get them. I have aqquired mine over time, so the cost never set me back to much. Though I do highly reccomend a search of ebay. I have gotten 3 from there with no issue. I also got 2 from craigslist, 1 new, 1 used. Goodluck in your search.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Frankly, it's my opinion that Cook's Illustrated is in bed with All-Clad

Rita

Every box of All-Clad cookware includes advertisements for Cook's Illustrated publications.

If you like the narrow the handles, you'll love the pouring lips.

Tim

I second the caution on the handles. I have only 1 all-clad - an omlette pan and I really dislike the handle. It digs into the palm of my hands which is very uncomfortable. I prefer Calphalon.

Right now for some reason, All-Clad is running a promotion on their 12" stainless skillet with lid. I got it for $80 from here:

http://www.abt.com/product/41842/All-Clad-51125.html

But that was two days ago, it appears it went up to $90. Keep in mind the pan usually goes for $120 or more and the lid around $40. It's a good deal. Amazon has it for the same price (make sure you order from amazon on the right "more buying choices" and maybe you can make some money back
icon_smile.gif

My girlfriend was just in a Sur La table in LA and they were having some crazy sales on select pieces, 30% off than an additional 20% off.

Maybe All-Clad is getting ready to introduce a line with wider handles? They probably read my post.

Rita

I'll second...er third...the handle issue. I don't love them but I have learned to like them. They don't seem all that ergonomic until you need to pour the contents out. After a bit of use, I came to the realization that there is a reason for the god awful design:

with a pot on the stove, grasp the handle with your palm facing up, wrap your fingers into the groove, and twist the pot.

My dislike of the handles (and the price) led me to the J A Henckles Intenational Classic Clad. Its a beast of a pan and, as far as I can tell, is of similar quality to the all clad. Oh, and the handle is awesome.

i just bought a set at bed bath and beyond, i spent a month debating what to get with all the choices and for the money went for all clad, great build quality!

I got all of mine at BBB with the 20% off coupons. I've heard that they are not supposed to honor them but they did every time. I do agree that the handles are not that well designed, however they cook like a dream.

Back