Chicken Soup primer

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Chicken vegetale soup is a regular around here. A few questions for yall. Allow me to set the table. Typically, I will roast a whole chicken. Then it is simmered with onions , celery and, carrots.
Usually I'll add mushrooms, more fresh celery, carrots and six or seven add'l vegies and a starch-brown rice, potato or, pasta. Healthy pot for the boys.

For more flavor...I use McCormick Chicken base and a little Beef base about 4 to 1.

Should I roast vegies too? Then add fresh veg. to the soup?

Is there a quicker , better way?

When should I use a clear broth?

Also, I use bay and Italian seasoning any better otions?

When should I thicken the soup? If ever? How?

Stumbled upon a method for defatting broth. Allow broth to cool and fat to rise to the top, place in freezer. To speed things up float ice cubes in the still warm broth. Fat solidifies quicker when Im in a hurry. Yes with all this, I seem to be in a hurry.

So I guess my short simple question is what is the best, fast way to go from whole chick to soup?

Thanks in advance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> For more flavor...I use McCormick Chicken base and a little Beef base about 4 to 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try Better than Bouillon at some point and see what you think. That's a good ratio for a little more depth.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Should I roast vegies too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I do. It takes no more time. I just leave them whole (awhole small carrot, a whole celery rib) or minimally prepped (an onion, ends left intact, halved or quartered). These get tossed into the pot with the chicken and vegs, extracted and discarded before the finish. The caramelization they undergo during roasting adds immensely, imo.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Then add fresh veg. to the soup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I usually saute first, while the chicken roasts, especially mushrooms and onions, as some caramelization here goes a long way. Typically, I'll slice mushrooms (white or, better, crimini, or a blend) and saute them in a large pan, stirring frequently. When they give up their moisture I let it reduce to nothing so that the mushrooms will brown, then I scrape them to a bowl and return the pan to the heat for the onions. If I'm adding garlic I do so when the onions have started browning nicely; I toss the minced garlic on top so that it in on the onions rather than the pan, which allows it to start softening/sweetening. After a bit, I stir in the garlic then soon thereafter, scrape the contents of the pan to the bowl with the mushrooms (I do not want the garlic to brown). (If I am adding wine as i often do, I add it when I stir the garlic into the onions then let it reduce to practically nothing. The added liquid keeps the garlic from browning. I use an unoaked dry white.) Other possible 'typical' chicken soup vegs like celery, carrots, peas, green beans, etc., I don't saute. less typical vegs I might, depending on the vegs: fennel, yes; celeriac or red bell, no. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there a quicker , better way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not without opening a bunch of cans or relying on frozen already-prepped stuff.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When should I use a clear broth? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you mean?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, I use bay and Italian seasoning any better otions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not usually fond of typical 'Italian blend' ratios for something like chicken soup. I prefer more thyme and sage as one usually finds, so I use separate herbs. I skip the oregano in 'typical' chicken soup and go with thyme, sage and marjoram, plus a small bay leaf. I like a good quantity of freshly minced fresh parsley in the pot at the very end or for serving. I like savory in some variations (especially those that will include white beans and/or butternut squash); some, like those with corn and chilies, I like a touch of cumin and lime zest.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> When should I thicken the soup? If ever? How? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>'Typical' chciken soups aren't but one needn't stick with the typical. You can make a 'cream of--'; you can puree some of the vegs to add body (if not exactly 'thicken'); you can puree some of the vegs and added starch to result in an even more bodied, more thick finish. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> So I guess my short simple question is what is the best, fast way to go from whole chick to soup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well--I don't think what I do is very involved. I usually just do while the chicken cooks, but much can be done separately ahead of time (like the sauteeing of the vegs) and simply held in the fridge.

Kevin, great stuff. When I make the stock from the roasted chicken, I use the whole bird, skin and all. I do want to remove the fat. So how long should I simmer the bird and roasted vegies? And, then chill to remove the fat? Or, do I need one of those pouring devices that pours the good stuff off the bottom leaving the fat behind? Or, should I just ditch the skin? Thanks again.

Fat separators are helpful. They're quick. Chilling to remove fat is a good option if you've the time. You'll get more, usually, that way as more time allows more fat to rise (but the separators do make short work of it if wanting to do it in one fell swoop and keep the cooking flow going.

I use the whole birds as well. (Lots of flavor in the caramelized skin. Don't ditch it.)

I roast the chicken with the vegs in a roasting pan (chciken on a rack) till done. I add a little water to the pan periodically so that the drippings don't burn and stir the vegs. When the chicken is done it goes into the soup pot with the roasted vegs, herbs, black pepper, plus a little base, and I deglaze the roasting pan with water which goes into the soup pot as well. (I sometimes put a splash of brandy or cognac in the pan, flame it, then deglaze with water. This I'll do for heartier first-course-type soup if I'm using lots of mushrooms.)

I simmer the whole bird plus the roasted vegs 60-90 min.

Meanwhile, or while the bird was roasting, I saute the other vegs. When the chicken has simmered, I'll remove it to a plate to cool a bit and defat the stock. The stock goes back into the pot with the sauteed (and any other vegs) to return to a simmer--unless I'm adding a grain or starch that needs long cooking (like wild or brown rice). In that case the grain or starch gets added, cooks halfway or so, and then the sauteed/other vegs get added. If I'm not using a long-cooked grain or starch then it gets added after the sauteed/other vegs start to simmer. I adjust the base (bouillon) quantity at this point as well. In the middle of this at whatever point, I skin the chicken and break it up so that it will cool enough so I can handle it but I mostly use tongs and a knife so it's no big deal. While the starch/grain and vegs simmer I chop the meat (not too small) and add it to the pot, adjust seasonings, add any last-minute spice or herb that is best reserved till the end (like cumin or parsley) if I'm going that route, and that's it.

Back