Compound butter recipe

Paul R

TVWBB Fan
Compound butter recipes seem to be all over the map as to the ratios of herbs to butter. From teaspoons to tablespoons of herbs/ stick or lb. of butter.
For an under the skin Thanksgiving turkey, what would you suggest?

Paul

The amount of herbs I use when I make a compound butter sometimes depends on how soon I will use it. If I'm making some just to have on hand I tend to use less because there is more time for everything to meld together. As long as you use herbs that complement turkey I don't think you can go wrong. I normally just use regular old butter under the turkey skin because I want to taste the meat and smoke not herbs. I usually do not measure the ingredients I just add enough for it to look good. Normally I use dried thyme, dried parsley, minced garlic and a tiny dash of cheap I-talian seasoning. It's great on steaks and chicken.

Thanks Branon. I have to cook the Turkey in the oven at my Dad's house this year, so no smoking, brining, or salting this year. Good old Butterball. Thought i would go with an herb butter (thyme and sage) under the skin. More than likely, i will mix the butter in the morning. Figuring on more thyme and less sage. They will be fresh herbs.
Thinking about browning the giblets to make some stock for the gravy too.

Paul

Back