Canadian bacon recipes?

I'm not sure what you're going for here. From my perspective just south of Ontario, where peameal bacon is king, I think pork loin. This is from wikipedia:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Canada

An individual slice of bacon is a slice or strip. In Canada:

* The term bacon on its own or, more specifically, side bacon[12] typically refers to bacon from the pork belly.
* Back bacon refers to either smoked or unsmoked bacon cut from the boneless eye of pork loin.[12] Called Canadian bacon in the United States.
* Peameal bacon is back bacon, brined and coated in fine cornmeal (historically, it was rolled in a meal made from ground dried peas).[12]
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not at all familiar with "side bacon" as its mostly "back bacon" here.

I brine trimmed porkloins in a simple salt, sugar, cure brine. After the cure, the loin gets rinsed, rolled in cornmeal and wrapped in plastic wrap. The next day, it gets thinly sliced and pan fried or vacpacked and frozen.

Like I said, may not what your looking for, but for those not familiar with it, peameal is cool stuff and easy enough to do that I recommend giving it a go.

What I think of as Canadian bacon:
IMG_4133.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">See this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that thread was around, I didn't have the patience to dig it up. As I recall, there's some good info in there.

i am canadian but live in TX

Trimmed Whole Pork Tenderloin
rawloin.jpg

water:

1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
4 bay leaves
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cloves
3 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Seasoning
1 tablespoon Juniper berries (crushed)
1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns (crushed)
4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons brandy
Prague powder #1 (amount/lbs of meat)

Soak in brine for 7 days, inject the brine into the meat every inch or so.

after 7 days, rinse in clean cold water and wash off any excess salt.

Smoke at 225°F until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F - 145°F for future use or 160°F for immediate use.

cbsdone.jpg

Rest to cool and slice 1/4" thick prior to using. Freeze in air tight bags

cb098.jpg

Peameal bacon is non smoked bacon/loin coated with cornmeal

grew up eating this and love it to this day<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I'm not sure what you're going for here. From my perspective just south of Ontario, where peameal bacon is king, I think pork loin. This is from wikipedia:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Canada

An individual slice of bacon is a slice or strip. In Canada:

* The term bacon on its own or, more specifically, side bacon[12] typically refers to bacon from the pork belly.
* Back bacon refers to either smoked or unsmoked bacon cut from the boneless eye of pork loin.[12] Called Canadian bacon in the United States.
* Peameal bacon is back bacon, brined and coated in fine cornmeal (historically, it was rolled in a meal made from ground dried peas).[12]
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not at all familiar with "side bacon" as its mostly "back bacon" here.

I brine trimmed porkloins in a simple salt, sugar, cure brine. After the cure, the loin gets rinsed, rolled in cornmeal and wrapped in plastic wrap. The next day, it gets thinly sliced and pan fried or vacpacked and frozen.

Like I said, may not what your looking for, but for those not familiar with it, peameal is cool stuff and easy enough to do that I recommend giving it a go.

What I think of as Canadian bacon:
IMG_4133.JPG
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks all for the wealth of info. Sorry, didn't know there was more than one definition of CB. It's the pork loin version that I know and like. Good to go! Cheers!

Morton salt has a super easy recipe.
I've made it using Tender Quick with added brown sugar. I'm sure spices could be added for extra flavor.
I like mine smoked.

I make "back bacon" all the time, after much trial and error my favorite recipe is:

1 whole pork loin, trimmed if you like
1 gallon water
300g salt
160g TQ
120g brown sugar
a dozen or so peppercorns

Bring all to a boil (except pork) cool, brine for 48 hours refridgerated, rinse and let rest 24 hours refridgerated. Smoke to 140 at the coolest temps you can muster. Works every time.

Back