Harry's Porterhouse Steaks

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Visited Harry Hansen's the other day and took home choice Porterhouse cuts.
DSCN7617.JPG

they sat at RT for about two hours before the grilltime.
Back-up 30 minutes before GT, I seasoned them with EVOO then Steakhouse Rub from Weber's Time To Grill CB.
DSCN7621.JPG

No talking about sides, tonight, it's all about Harry's Porterhouse Steaks.
DSCN7624.JPG

3 minutes, then turn 90º...
DSCN7625.JPG

A total time of about 6 minutes one side and 3 maybe 4 the other (these steaks were large, at least one inch thick).
While those were grillin', I mixed up some softened Wisconsin Dairy sweet unsalted butter
with a clove or two of minced gaaaaaalic, a small spoon of Dijon mustard, and a teaspoon or so of the Steakhouse Rub.
After the steaks were reomved from the Weber, a glob of this heavenly butter melted atop the Porterhouse.
DSCN7633.JPG

That's it, that's all I got.
These steaks were probably the finest I have ever tasted (and i've eeten manyMANY PHSteaks).

Thank you all for dealing with my fun
icon_smile.gif

Jim, you are truly the grill meister. Amazing. I wish I had your chops when it comes to straight forward grilling. Beautiful steaks.
DSCN7625.JPG

lOOKS awesome jim. Wish i could find steaks like that around here for a fair price. Need to go to my butcher again i guess. Killer meal!

Very nice Jim. Looks like I'm going to make a trip to Harry's!
Love those grill marks..makes you feel like your eating at one of those high end steak joints
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing Jim.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Chuck

Perfect sear/crust, and topping on Harry's 'houses Jim!

Snow on my deck, -2 WC, and you have me wanting to grill some beef!
Try not to over-inspire would ya?
icon_smile.gif

Beautiful steaks Jim. I love the grill marks from those Craycort CIG.
Nice to see that the cauliflower made it to the party....

Awesome. I see one problem - I didn't get one!
Talking porterhouse and I see it in these pictures - porterhouses and t-bones used to have a tail. That was the best part of the steak!
Don't mind me ... I'm a cholesterol junky!
I rarely buy porterhouses but going to have to ask my butcher if he can cut some tail on.

thanks for your kind comments
icon_smile.gif

these were probably the best tasting Porters I've ever had...
think it may have something to do with the steakhouse seasoning/butter/gaaaaalic/Dijon deal... butt holeySmokerino! They were good!

Larry, I don't quite understand what you mean by "porterhouses and t-bones used to have a tail...on"
Porters are basically the same as TBones butt have more tenderloin...
however, "the tail" confuses me...
icon_confused.gif

Jim, Harry Hansens has processed a deer or two over the years for some of my family members and I can remember years ago my dad getting suckling pigs from them for family cook outs. Now as far as your porterhouses, they look PHENOMINAL! Very nice!

I have been wanting to make my Dad one of those for a while. They are his favorite and he used to make them when I was a kid. I think this recipe would be a real treat for him and I am going to start looking for some nice Porterhouse steaks now. Thanks again, Jim!

Jim - Up to about 10 or 15 years ago a porterhouse or t-bone would come with a "tail" of fat on the bottom end of the steak. This was very flavorful - like I said, I'm a cholesterol junkie.
Butchers and meat-cutters now cut them off or the primal cut comes from the packer that way.

Back