charcoal grates

AL. T

TVWBB Member
I have heard that one of the grates from another weber kettel will work for the second charcoal grate on my soon to be had WSM. any one know what one?....Thanks ...AL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AL. T:
I have heard that one of the grates from another weber kettel will work for the second charcoal grate on my soon to be had WSM. any one know what one?....Thanks ...AL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The charcoal grate for the WSM is Part #72601, it's made just for the WSM. If you want to do the double charcoal grate mod to keep the small pieces of lump from falling through then you would need to get the charcoal grate from a 18.5" weber kettle. Link to double grate mod.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
If you want to do the double charcoal grate mod to keep the small pieces of lump from falling through then you would need to get the charcoal grate from a 18.5" weber kettle. Link to double grate mod. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something else that works well is the cooking grate from a Brinkmann Gourmet smoker (NOT the ECB, the Gourmet is different). I salvaged the cooking grates from my old Gourmet when I bought a WSM, and have been using one as a second charcoal grate for a couple of years. It isn't as heavy-gauge as the WSM charcoal grate, but it works just fine (especially if you can get one for free).

But what if one has a wsm 22?

I wonder, if the charcoal grate from a 18 kettle is good for a "cross hatch" charcoal grate in a wsm 18, would perhaps a charcoal grate from a 22 kettle do the same thing for a 22 wsm?

> I wonder, if the charcoal grate from a 18 kettle is good for a "cross hatch" charcoal grate in a wsm 18, would perhaps a charcoal grate from a 22 kettle do the same thing for a 22 wsm?
On the rare occasion that I use lump, I use a charcoal grate from a 22 kettle across the wsm charcoal grate to contain the small chunks. It fits well inside the ring.
Note that old, well used 22 kettle charcoal grates tend to droop and won't lay flat, so you may have to invest in a new one...

Back