Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad (Sugar-free)

Doug D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I used to get this all the time at the Picadilly cafeteria, but don't any more because of the sugar. Here's a sugar-free version that tastes just like it:

Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad (Sugar-free)

2 large cucumbers
2 cups grape tomatoes (1 pint)
1/2 med red onion
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
4 packets Splenda

Peel and halve or quarter cucumbers lengthwise and remove seeds. Slice into 1/4" slices. Slice tomatoes in thirds. Coarsely chop onion. Place all in shallow non-reactive bowl. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for a day, stirring occasionally.

We do much the same thing alot, except we pour seasoned rice wine vinegar over the onions, cucs and tomatoes a shortly before dinner and thats it. No water or sugar. They get pretty mushy by the next day, so we usually only make enough for one meal, but we save the vinegar for the next batch. My kids love it, esp the vinegar.

Doug:

While I suspect there is some hereditary love for the sweetened CTO Salad, you might enjoy this.

A Grecian, (more perhaps appropriately) a Mediterranian variation:

Cukes (sliced)
Tomatos (sliced or quartered depending on size)
Onion (thinly sliced)
Olive oil (to taste, I use EVOO)
Salt & pepper (to taste)
Oregano (I use off-the-shelf) palm ground to taste.
Feta cheese (crumbled to taste)

*Those in Greece, add your two-bits*

My version:
onions thinly sliced
tomatoes
cucumbers sliced or diced
dash of olive oil
white or rice wine vinegar to taste
fresh diced cilantro (just a little)

My friend's moroccan mom called this "Israeli salad." I've been making it this year cuz I've got nice fresh cukes and tomatoes and peppers from my garden. This never called for any sugar, btw. Same as the other recipes here, mostly (tomatoes, cukes, onion, and peppers----I actually put in some roasted cubanelles, but you can use green or whatever, or skip the peppers even). Salt and pepper. Drizzle with vinegar (apple cider vinegar makes it nice and sweet) and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and serve instantly. The juice gives it a nice fresh flavor. And your guests will SWEAR there's oil on it, when in fact, there is NONE.

Back