Beef Round Tip Roast?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
What exactly is a beef round tip roast?

The 8.5-pounder I bought today (choice, $2.89 @ Costco - how cheap can you get?) seems to have 3 sections visible on the cut side, each separated by a very thin line of grizzle radiating outward, but all sections firmly attached to each other. The center wedge of the 3 sections is a little paler in color than the other two. The meat some thin streaks of marbling. It looks very much like the one shown in the 4th row center (surprisingly titled beef round tip roast).

http://www.beefretail.org/round.aspx

Is it all round, a combination of sirloin tip and round, or just another name for sirloin tip? Or...?

I'm going to salt and season it up right now and grill-roast it tomorrow. I'd hoped to get that done earlier today. Better late than never.

I've had good luck with an eye round roast, searing this way and want to try again with the round tip roast over Direct/Medium-High (Weber Genesis gasser) and then grilling on a wire rack over a pan at Indirect/Low (225°) to 120° internal and then giving it a good rest to produce a nice roast beef that is rare to medium-rare throughout.

Rita

Looks like what I buy as Rump roast. I use a parring knife cutting small slits in it and stuff with garlic. I either cook it well done or medium rare. I have never roasted one on the grill.

Back