Holding a smoked turkey

B. Kaylor

TVWBB Fan
How long do you think that it is safe to hold a properly chilled smoked turkey in the refrigerator? I am planing on cooking the birds (2)Friday morning and 1 will not be eaten until Monday noon; about 3 full days. Is this too long? I usually chill, then place inside an oven bag to hold, but could wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and maybe foil over that? They would like the turkey whole, not cut or butterflied if possible. Any suggestions or comments?.....Thanks!

I'm no expert in cooked meat preservation but do know the colder you keep it the longer it will safely last in the refrig. Turn the temp control down in your refrig so it holds 35-36 degrees (measure with accurate thermometer) and you'll have no problems keeping the bird till Monday. Believe I would wrap with cling wrap and foil to keep air from the meats surface.

Scotty W.

Cool unwrapped on the counter (or outside in cool weather if no bugs are present), preferably on a rack for better air circulation, till much of the heat has dissipated. Move to the fridge, unwrapped, till cold. Wrap tightly in plastic then return to the fridge.

It'll be fine at typical fridge temps till Monday.

Scotty & Kevin...Thank you both so much. Yes the more that I thought about it, I figured that plastic wrap is the way to go. I'm now at the 2 hour mark, so the replys are very timely. Thanks for the reassurance.

Wishing you and everyone a very Merry and Safe Christmas and New Year Holiday. Peace on Earth!

Back