Brisket recipe... smoked or oven cooked

Armen G.

Hello all, I'm looking for a dry brisket rub that can be used for both smoking brisket in the WSM and for slow cooking it in an oven. Basically, I'd like to have a versatile rub that I can make a large batch of that will work well if cooked with the great flavor added by the smoking process AND can stand alone on its own if I slow cook a brisket in the oven. There have been times when I smoke brisket and pork that I thought would've been nice to have a non-smoked (but still same cut of beef) alternative to the other smoked meats available to my guests. Also, for those of you who have slow cooked a brisket in the oven, are there any differences in technique or does the same idea of cooking to a correct internal temperature apply to oven cooking. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend (slow oven cooking) to see how it tastes. Thanks in advance for any insight!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armen G.:
...have a non-smoked ... alternative to the other smoked meats available to my guests... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> There are people like that
icon_eek.gif
?

Can't see much difference using the standard sugar rub in either oven or smoker as long as the temps are about the same. I think you just want something that will stand on it's own or go well with smoke flavor. Can't really say, look for something with the flavors you like. For example, I'm not fond of beef rubs with anise (licorice) flavor in them.

One thing you might do with the oven cook is elevate the brisket on a rack so it's not sitting in it's drippings for the duration.

Back