Mexican White Cheese Dip?

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
I have tried, searched and have failed time and time again to figure out how this dip is made. The best way for me to desribe this dip is-
Really wet, really white, and really good. No chunks or any salsa texture. Just a thin wet cheese sauce served with tortilla chips.
My family and I love this stuff.

Are you certain it's cheese? Was it served (usually chilled) in a little bowl with tortilla chips? Often with a salsa in another bowl? It sounds like you're referring to crema, the Mexican version of sour cream that's further made into dipping sauces for chips. Straight, it can have a texture anywhere from a bit thicker than heavy cream up to thicker than sour cream. Crema sauces for tortilla chips are usually like thick cream and are quite varied. Sometimes they are nothing more than crema with lime juice or lime juice and finely minced jalapeños, sometimes a spice or two. The last one I made was crema with a little chipotle blended in. I had one earlier today at a Mexican joint in Emporia, Va, that was new to me--it was sweet.

If that's what it is, I can tell how to make your own crema, and make some further suggestions for inclusions for a sauce.

Kevin, what we get around here is cheese, served hot. They even call it mexican cheese dip. I have tried to persuade many of the waiters to give me the recipe but me no speaka spanish. Cant even spell it.
But it is cheese and it looks like the search continues. Dangit! Thanks for your reply Kevin, I felt sure you would have had an answer..

Ah, but perhaps I do. I assumed you were speaking the chilled dip I described. What you're looking for is called Queso Blanco. Unfortunately, they are, too, as varied as crema sauces, so I don't know specifically what the restaurant you go to uses. I can tell you how to make the base though, and give you suggestions for inclusions.

I will give your ideas a try this week. I have used monterey jack and came close to what I thought was almost like theirs, but the sauce got to hot and broke on me I guess. Turned funky on me. Thanks for your help Kevin.

Tyr the other cheeses ot the jack again. Do the double-boiler thing and make sure the water below gets very hot--a bare simmer--but doesn't boil. You shouldn't have a breaking problem then. I hope you find the blend of ingredients you're looking for. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

The authentic mexican restaurants here use Oaxaca, aka Chihuahua cheese according to several waiters. I did some research on this some time ago when I was trying to find this cheese, and I may be wrong, but i think Asadero is actually a slightly different cheese, although the names are often used interchangably. Publix here carries Oaxaca.

It is melted with milk or half & half, and diced jalepenos.

I'm bumping this thread as the recipe that Kevin posted before has apparently been removed. Would you mind posting it again Kevin?

Back