Pork Belly in Charlotte, NC???

Jason Nelms

TVWBB Fan
Ok, so I've been reading these threads and I've now been convinced to try making my own bacon. However, I've run into a problem...I can't find pork belly.
icon_mad.gif
Needless to say it's hard to make bacon without pork belly.

I am located just north of Charlotte, NC and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've talked to numerous local butchers and only one carries it, unfortunately, his was very thin and didn't look very good. If there are any locals that have found some decent pork belly can you help me out?!?!?!?!?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You can make bacon from loin (canadian or peameal bacon) or from butts (buckboard bacon) too.

Anyway, North Carolinians eat a lot of pig. I'm sure you can find some belly somewhere.

Check hispanic and asian groceries, they always seem to have belly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
You can make bacon from loin (canadian or peameal bacon) or from butts (buckboard bacon) too.

Anyway, North Carolinians eat a lot of pig. I'm sure you can find some belly somewhere.

Check hispanic and asian groceries, they always seem to have belly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me, I know we eat a TON of pig...but for some reason pork belly is hard to find. That said, I have found (since my post this morning) two large Asian markets and both have said they carry belly. I'll be headed to get it over the next several days I hope.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Nelms:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:

Check hispanic and asian groceries, they always seem to have belly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me, I know we eat a TON of pig...but for some reason pork belly is hard to find. That said, I have found (since my post this morning) two large Asian markets and both have said they carry belly. I'll be headed to get it over the next several days I hope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grateful Growers sells Tamworth pig uncured bacon but it's now $6.00+/lb. Please keep us posted on what you find. I'd like to give bacon a try in a few weeks. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve jordan:
They have pork belly, cassings and beef middles at restaurant depot in charlotte nc. Hope that helps! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is a membership required to buy from Restaurant Depot?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Nelms:

Trust me, I know we eat a TON of pig...but for some reason pork belly is hard to find. That said, I have found (since my post this morning) two large Asian markets and both have said they carry belly. I'll be headed to get it over the next several days I hope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you want to share the names of the Asian markets?

Sure. One is in Stallings, Grand Asia Market. The other is off Tryon St near Sugar Creek, I think the name is International Market. I called both places and they both said they routinely carry belly. I was hoping to make it to one of them today but I couldn't get away from work in time.

I live further south, I get my pork bellies from the peach stand in Ft. Mill. In fact, I just picked one up today. You have to call them early on Monday morning (usually 7am) and they'll have it on Wednesday. I pay $2.99/lb, and they're 8-9lbs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Pincus:
I live further south, I get my pork bellies from the peach stand in Ft. Mill. In fact, I just picked one up today. You have to call them early on Monday morning (usually 7am) and they'll have it on Wednesday. I pay $2.99/lb, and they're 8-9lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the info.? Do you know if you can you order on Mon. for pickup on Sat.?

I'm sure you could. They're pretty reasonable. I go Wednesdays because it's the soonest it gets there and I'm usually having bacon DT's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Pincus:
I'm sure you could. They're pretty reasonable. I go Wednesdays because it's the soonest it gets there and I'm usually having bacon DT's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the follow up. I'll give them a call on Monday. I hear they have a really nice butcher shop. I'll have to see if they carry Blenheim's Ginger Ale, too.

I am not sure they have Blenheim. They do have fantastic steaks, peaches are in season as well. If you want Blenheim, stop at Froogal McDoogals near Carowinds

I am not sure they have Blenheim. They do have fantastic steaks, peaches are in season as well. If you want Blenheim, stop at Froogal McDoogals near Carowinds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gave them a call - nice folks. I was told to call on a Monday and order it salted or unsalted and pick it up that Wednesday. I work with a friend who lives in Baxter Village who can bring it to me if I can't get down there.
Thanks for your assistance!

Back