11.5 hour brisket cook on the mini on one load of charcoal

Justin W

TVWBB Pro
(edited from original post)

Granted this is a rather small brisket and probably isn't using up too much energy from the charcoal, but I'm still amazed that homemade thing has been going for so long @ around 235-240 on one load of charcoal.

I kicked this off a little before 7:30 this morning and never added one more coal from what you see here.

imagebncj.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-10-03

imageaqf.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-10-03

imagepti.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-10-03

I could have done an overnight-er and not run out of charcoal. Amazing how efficient these are.

(A final pic of the brisket is later on in this thread).

I'm jealous.....looks like blue Kinsford....I have tried everything and can't get over 6 hours.Good job !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:
I'm jealous.....looks like blue Kinsford....I have tried everything and can't get over 6 hours.Good job !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what it is. I have a garage half full of the stuff. If I keep using this thing, I'll never get to it all.
icon_wink.gif

I didn't add any from what you see in the first picture. I'm shutting it down now. It's been 10.5 hours and it's still going strong. I think it had at least another hour in it.

Here is a final picture.

imagevdr.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-10-03

OK. So as luck would have it, I never got around to taking my maverick off the cooker. It's starting to wind down now. I think it has another 15 minutes or so till it drops below 200. So basically I got roughly 11.5 hours out of the mini today on one load of charcoal. I never added anything or even looked at-much less stoked-- the coals.

Not bad.

Great lookin brisket.

Couple questions -
Have you vented your SJG at all or is it basically stock. Just made mine and wondering if the coals stay lit even with the vents being above them..

Second, what does the bottom of your pot look like? Did you drill holes in it or cut out the entire bottom? Right now I have just drilled mine, but I don't know if it will transfer the heat enough.

Curtis,
My grill is completely stock and I cut out the bottom.

If I keep the vents 1/3 open, it will run all day around 225-235 and if I open them up wide open it will get up around 325 but won't go any higher. That exactly where I want mine (Not because I knew what I was doing...I just got lucky) but you may need yours to operate differently.

Justin,Awesome Brisket! I put a 5lb boston butt (Partially frozen) on my mini Friday night/Saturday morning around 1:00am.Like you, I was able to get a solid 10.5 hours at 225*/245*! (My previous long was 9.5 hours) I loaded my SJG with Stubbs, and never looked back! I can't believe how these little things chug right along on such a minimal amount of fuel! At about the 10hr mark, my temp started to fall off, so I removed the top sections, and pushed all the remaining coals into a pile in the center of the grate, and wa-la, plenty of heat to get the last 5 or so degrees I needed!
I can't say enough how pleased I am with this little smoker!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I think what helps is that you have a Gold. A Silver going that long may have the bottom vent clogged with ash.

I modded my Silver by adding Gold vents on the sides.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:
I think what helps is that you have a Gold. A Silver going that long may have the bottom vent clogged with ash.

I modded my Silver by adding Gold vents on the sides. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. I had both and by far prefer the gold for this. I wouldn't change anything about the vents. I would like the handle with the heat shield over it like they sell in Europe though.

you stole my name !
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curtis:
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. Now hopefully my brisket will look like that
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what exactly do the gold vents look like. How easy is the mod from the silver?

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:

So what exactly do the gold vents look like. How easy is the mod from the silver?

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a couple of holes on each side as you can see in the first pic above. I used left over material from the Tamale pot bottom cut out for the vent covers, but if I were to do it all over again I would add 2-18 WSM vents (one on each side of the SJ Silver).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
Curtis,
My grill is completely stock and I cut out the bottom.

If I keep the vents 1/3 open, it will run all day around 225-235 and if I open them up wide open it will get up around 325 but won't go any higher. That exactly where I want mine (Not because I knew what I was doing...I just got lucky) but you may need yours to operate differently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Justin, could you post a photo of the bottom of your mini? I'd love to see how you cut out the bottom.

Thanks, Mike

Hey Mike,
It's just a very mangled circle that I cut with a dremel. It's about an inch in from the edges so the pot could rest on it's natural bottom around the edges. Nothing special at all.

I guess I am having a senior moment! Did you cut the bottom out of the tamale pot or the bottom of the grill or the bottom of the SJG? Sorry for the slow brain, it's pretty cold here!

One last question.. do you leave the grate in under your charcoal or just fill it up all the way without the grate?

I am just not getting the same burn time...

Back