Roasted Nuts

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
These are a few roasted nut ideas I got from rick Bayless' Fiesta book. They are very good for watching the game and come together quickly!

Garlicky Habanero Mac Nuts
6 Cloves Garlic
2 Habaneros
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Cups Macadamia Nuts

Roast the garlic and the habaneros, to do this cut the top off a head of garlic sprinkle with olive oil and toss on the kettle with the habs until the garlic is soft and peppers are charred.

When the peppers and garlic are done puree them with the oil, honey and salt. Mix with the mac nuts and toss back on the grill at around 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until they darken up.

SNB18025.jpg

SNB18027.jpg

SNB18030.jpg

SNB18032.jpg

Chipotle Roasted Almonds
2 Canned Chipotles
2 Tablespoons of the adobo sauce from the chipotles
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Cups toasted blanched almonds

Puree the chipotles, adobo, lime juice, ketchup, sugar, and salt. Pour into a bowl and toss with the almonds. Toss on the grill for about 30 minutes at around 350.

HPIM0711.jpg

HPIM0712.jpg

HPIM0714.jpg

Chilied Peanuts and Pumpkin Seeds
2 Cups Roasted Peanuts
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
2 Teaspoons Ancho powder
1 Teaspoon arbol chile powder
Salt
1 Cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds

- Toss the peanuts with the lime juice, sprinkle with chile powders and toss until coated. Put in the smoker at about 250 for 30 minutes or so.
- Take off the smoker and toss with salt
- In a skillet toast the pumpkin seedss, put them in a single layer, when the first one pops stir constantly until they all pop to ovals. Mix with the peanut mixture.

Oaxacan Style Peanuts with Chile and Garlic (This one isn't grilled)
T Olive Oil
4 Dried Arbol Chiles torn into pieces
8 Cloves Garlic
4 Cups toasted spanish peanuts
salt

Combine the oil, arbols and and garlic over med heat until the garlic is soft, add the peanuts and salt and continue to cook for about 10 minutes

Clark

Thank you for posting these recipes... Those mac's blew my mind... I bet they are really good with that home brew!

No worries Ernie! They go down real nice with a good brew! Kegging a couple this weekend actually, a basil ipa and a chinook ipa. I definately recomend all of these nut recipes, they always dissapear fast.

Clark

I am a huge Rick Bayless fan. I will try that mac recipe only with pecans this week. I like spicy but 2 whole habaneros sounds pretty hot but will try.

I'm with youon Bayless, huge fan, so many good recipes of his to try! With regards to the heat they are warm, I'm a big hot food fan and don't find them anywhere near too hot.....famous last words!

Clark

I finally got around to trying to make some Garlicky Habanero pecans. They turned out great. Needed a little less heat and a little less time for the pecans. I have been looking for a good spiced nut recipe for a long time. This is the one. Spice just right. Not as hot as I thought they where going to be. Everything I every tried from Rick Bayless has been good. Thanks for posting.

Did the pecans again this week. I really like this recipe. Last time the pecans burned a little so this time I turned oven to 275 and followed the rest of recipe. I will use 3 habanero's next time. They seem to lose a lot of the heat during roasting and baking.

Back