Lamb Sirloin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will be entering my first BBQ competition and one of the meats is LAMB SIRLOIN. I feel a little sheepish, but I really know mutton about bbqing lamb. On the internet I was able to find that the internal meat temp of about 150F is desired but all the info is on grilling not the Weber Type smoking. I was hoping I could get some cooking tips on this meat. I will be indebted to ewe for your help (smile). (If you get the opportunity to take one of Paul Kirk's classes, do so. Lots of good information)

I've never cooked lamb before, but Paul Kirk has it featured on Volume 3 of his video set, which I have. I'll watch it again and post a summary here soon.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Alan

I cook legs of Lamb quite often in my WSM cooker. Its a pretty tender meat to start with so I don't know that it needs massive amounts of smoking time. I find that I get a really pleasant result with a wet rub of Garlic, Rosemary, Salt and Pepper with Lemon Juice. I smoke it with a couple of chunks of Hickory. I'm still learning patience so I tend to cook it in 2-3 hours. I've just bent the door on Little Boy so hopefully I'll have better control of the airflow now and might be able to try dropping the temp down and trying longer smoking times. Anyway good luck.

Skippy

Skippy,thanks. I have found some general info on the web restating your point about a shorter cooking time. Also there were some notes about internal temp of about 140f so not to dry it out. I appreciate the spice suggestions. I am going to a Spring Training competition this weekend and they have lamb ribs. I am hoping mine won't taste too b-a-a-a-a-a-d for the first time. Maybe a little mint jalapeno jelly glaze.

Hi Alan,

I finally got around to watching the Paul Kirk video segment on lamb. He does leg of lamb with the bone in and trims off all the surface fat, saying that the meat has plenty of internal fat to keep it moist. In the video he applied just a little olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning and smoked it for four hours. No mention about internal temperature. Also no discussion of which smoke woods to use.

For slicing, he held the leg on edge with the meaty side up and the "pointy" end to his right. He selected a spot about 4 inches up from the pointy end (which he says is mainly bone and gristle), cut straight down to the bone, then turned the knife to the left and cut along the bone to remove a large chunk of meat. He then sliced it across the grain for presentation.

He said lamb is very easy to barbecue and works well with most seasonings, including pepper, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. He suggested that one try the lemon pepper approach to see how good the flavor of lamb is without the heavy garlic that is often used with lamb. He also mentioned that he sometimes rubs lamb with Kitchen Bouquet before seasoning, which I guess gives color and maybe a little seasoning, but he didn't do this in the video.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to review the video. With yours and Skippy's info I should at least be able to have a fighting chance at the cookoff. Kitchen Bouquet is a new one for me. I will check out the spice section.

By the way, I got those Brinkman coal pans to replace the Weber waterpans. They really are great---

Alan,

Kitchen Bouquet is used by my wife in beef gravey. I always thought the only thing it did is make the gravey a little darker in color. I think it's the liquid smoke of gravey making! I will check the ingredients when I get home tonight.

Doug

Hey it works.
One year at the Am. Royal contest, I marinated a rack of lamb and 8 chops. I smoked them for about an hour and a half then put them on a grill in the firebox to finish them off. I asked my team mates to keep an eye on them while I did something else. After a few minutes the boys were still sitting around drinking beer and totally ignoring the lamb in the firebox.
I opened it up and there was 9 balls of fire inside the box. I sauced 'em up and took 6th place. The next year we did the same thing and took 5th. The next year they got rid of the lamb category at the Royal.
Marinade was unsweetened grapefruit juice, onions, garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.
BBQ rub was Lawry's seasoned salt, chili powder, black pepper, onion and garlic powder, allspice, brown and white sugar. Oak and apple wood for smoke. Smoked to around 130 internal before grilling over a hot fire. Sauced them before turn in.

Dave,
If I had noted the flaming lambs I think I probably would have been ready to deliver the ewe-logy (smile). A good friend of mine cooks chili that way in competition and sometimes wins with the burnt flavor (go figure). But finishing off the lamb with the grill may be a good idea. I have mutton to lose trying. Will let you know next week. Thanks for the info

Hi there! What modifications did you need to put the Brinkman pan in? Did you need different brackets or did it just go in like the original from Weber?

No modification necessary. Sets in place nicely. I don't see getting 9 hours as some folks noted but at least 6 or 7 which is double of the time on the Weber pan. Remember it is the Brinkman charcoal pan you use. I cook alone for competition and that is one less thing to have to worry about.

I plan to pick up the charcoal grate for the 22-1/2 inch Weber. This will allow me to use the Smokey Mountain as a grill also when necessary. It sets in where the lower grill does. there are details on this website about that. Saves me buying just a grill and gives me another excuse to pick up another Smokey Mountain (smile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back