Food Saver

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
I just used my Food Saver for the first time. Does all the air get vacuumed out of the bags before the seal? Is it supposed be tight like a cryo pack? Or is there some air left in?

My first bag still had air left in the bag when it sealed. I am just trying to figure out if that is by design.

Thank you for the help.

RD, for the most part, all of the air should be out like a cryo pak. Sometimes when the object is irregular shaped, you might have some slight pockets but definitely should not look like there is still air in there.

Hope this helps.

Buckeye Bob

I agree with Bob .. Sometimes an irregular shaped object might cause air pockets. Vac sealing partially frozen goods will sometimes cause this as well. In addition, I always "help" the bag by supporting it a bit and move it in as the bag wrinkles so the Foodsaver doesn't have to pull it.

Bill

I'll add a bit, sometimes partially frozen or frozen is a good thing though ... like salmon fillets, I like to freeze then vac pack. I also use it for some liquids ... like enchilada sauce ... freeze first.

It should be tight and the auto seal shouldn't trigger until all of the air is evacuated. Plastic should be tight against the object just like the cryo. If the bag feels loose anywhere around the object it not truly vac sealed and either there is something wrong or the seal is leaking.

I just got a Food Saver for Christmas and was wondering what the best way to seal Pulled Pork is.. do you partially-freeze it first, then seal - or refrigerate first, then seal.. or just let it cool on counter and then seal?

Would love some recommendations! Thanks

I just got a Food Saver for Christmas and was wondering what the best way to seal Pulled Pork is.. do you partially-freeze it first, then seal - or refrigerate first, then seal.. or just let it cool on counter and then seal?
Got to qualify my answer a little bit: If you were to make thick packages or pack real tight like me it's much safer to get the meat chilled first. Kevin Kruger keeps saying how important it is to cool quickly, post cook handling is as or more important than pre-cook because it causes more problems.

I pack fridge chilled pulled pork or beef down with my knuckles before the vacuum. In my case freezing first won't work since I like it packed tight. You can pre-freeze or pack very loose ... but it should keep longer in the freezer if there aren't voids all through the package.

If you make thin packages or not tight packed then packaging counter cooled and straight to the fridge/freezer should be fine.

I've had this happen on some of my vac seals. Doesn't matter the shape of the food, moisture content, whether or not it's frozen first, etc. Sometimes the bag just doesn't want to cooperate. I also get confused as to whether the checkerboard side of the bag goes up or down. Seems like up would be the logical choice, but down works better for me I've found out.

The sealer just doesn't seem to suck sometimes. I think this is what you experience RD. Not saying that all the above could have the same effect and result. But I keep one of my fingers on the "cancel" button at all times and I can usually tell right away if the air is coming out like it should or not. And you will be able to tell as well after you get a couple "good" ones under your belt. I try to cancel it before the sealer kicks in, so I can rearrange, switch bags, say a prayer, whatever, and try again so as not to waste those bags. We are working with a less than industrial strength sealer, I'm sure some of it has to do with that to.

Todd

Does all the air get vacuumed out of the bags before the seal? Is it supposed be tight like a cryo pack? Or is there some air left in?
I know a vacuum meaning absence of air is a weird concept, but when there are gaps between chunks it is a partial vacuum (if the thing worked right) ... different than air pockets which can get trapped.

Like Todd was describing sometimes it doesn't engage properly. Three things I've seen that make this happen:

-not all of the bag end is inside the vacuum channel ... air flows into the bag as fast as the FS is trying to suck it out

-wrinkles in the bag end prevent a proper seal from forming due to uneven height where the plastic is folded over itself (this can also be a problem if the vacuum happens ... the seal may not be good, won't melt through all the layers of the wrinkles)

-wet bag ends clamp shut

The first two can be avoided by using enough spare bagging material. Enough to fit into the vacuum channel and enough to lay flay esp. when sealing up bulky items. The last one can be avoided by keeping some paper towel handy to wipe the inside of the bag prior to vacuuming.

Originally posted by Todd Randall:
I've had this happen on some of my vac seals. Doesn't matter the shape of the food, moisture content, whether or not it's frozen first, etc. Sometimes the bag just doesn't want to cooperate. I also get confused as to whether the checkerboard side of the bag goes up or down. Seems like up would be the logical choice, but down works better for me I've found out.

The sealer just doesn't seem to suck sometimes. I think this is what you experience RD. Not saying that all the above could have the same effect and result. But I keep one of my fingers on the "cancel" button at all times and I can usually tell right away if the air is coming out like it should or not. And you will be able to tell as well after you get a couple "good" ones under your belt. I try to cancel it before the sealer kicks in, so I can rearrange, switch bags, say a prayer, whatever, and try again so as not to waste those bags. We are working with a less than industrial strength sealer, I'm sure some of it has to do with that to.

Todd

Todd is correct, it's an FS issue. Heavier duty versions of FS or other heavier duty sealers will not do this. But for the money the "regular" FS are reasonably good products, just have some quirks IMHO.

Originally posted by Curtis:

Would love some recommendations! Thanks

I do partially freeze some items, but haven't found that necessary with PP. Just refrigerate first to get it safe and also solidify the fat/liquids a bit.

Back