Rub/Crust for Canadain Bacon

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I'm going to cure a loin and make canadain bacon, but I was looking for some ideas on a rub.

I want a rub that will compliment the sage/thyme/garlic cure that I use for my CB.

I'm going to smoke half nonrubbed, and the other half I wanted to do a bit different. The rub in my mind should be complimentary to the meat, not too hot, but well spiced.

To sum it up, I don't know if I would even consider what I'm looking for a BBQ rub. Just something to make a bit of a crust and compliment the awesomeness that is homemade canadian bacon.

Thanks,
Josh

Josh

Yeah that dizzy pig site is nice, but I have my cure all set I'm really just looking for a recipe for an end rub. The end rub on that webiste is just a prebought rub and I was hoping for a few suggestions on something fun and interesting to rub on canadian bacon.

Any takers?

Isn't "peameal" traditional for it? I have no idea what peameal is, but I know that many rub the stuff onto the loin after curing.

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Isn't "peameal" traditional for it? I have no idea what peameal is, but I know that many rub the stuff onto the loin after curing.

Phil, That's what I though also till I found this.
"Pea meal bacon is a cured pork loin that has not been smoked. It is not to be confused with bacon sold as "Canadian Bacon" which is more of a ham in texture and flavour. Rumour has it that it is mainly a Southwestern Ontario treat. Pea meal bacon originally got its name from the pea meal coating. That is no longer used and has been replaced with corn meal. Some stores also label pea meal bacon as sweet pickled pork backs." Link to entire article

Josh, When I make Canadian Bacon I just use the High Mountain Buckboard bacon cure. I make a maple one but add the maple syrup in with the cure for the 7-10 day cure proccess. I never put a rub on it before going on the WSM. Not sure how well the rub will stick to the loins, since you cook it to a low internal temp, and the meat sweats pretty good after you take it off, just a heads up for you. I know Shawn W has told me that he has a hard time getting the cornmeal to stick to the loins when making the pea meal back bacon. Maybe He'll chime in and give you some ideas.

Bryan,

Thanks for the heads up. I've never had either peameal bacon or canadian bacon (well, unless you count the stuff on hawaiian pizza "canadian bacon") so was unsure. But i'd heard a lot of people on the 'net refer to it...I guess it's also very big in Scotland. Have to admit, though...the sort of crunchy texture I'm imagining it to have sounds really good with cured pork loin. But as you said, I'd think it would be tough to get it to stay on during smoking.

I'd not heard of peameal bacon before either (cured, uncooked). Morton's Recipe Here

What I was trying to go for with my back bacon was cornmeal on the outside like these two:

Schneider Peamealed Smoked Back Bacon
Freybe Cornmeal Back Bacon

I've tried spraying the smoked bacon with water then rolling it cornmeal then vacuum packaging it. It works, some sticks (a thin layer) but I'd like a thicker coating.

The store bought stuff has about a 1/8" coat. Some falls off when you slice it, some more falls off when you fry it in butter, but it's very good.

Store bought also has a lot more moisture in it. Might be a wet cure instead of dry. Maybe they soak it in water after it is cooked.

Next couple of things on my 'to try' list for getting the cornmeal to stick:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>after smoked and cooled paint liberally with maple syrup then roll in cornmeal with some pressure, perhaps let it sit 30 minutes then repeat
<LI>after smoked and cooled soak in cold water for 5 minutes, remove, shake off excess water, pack in cornmeal in close fitting container and allow it to sit. Not sure how long, couple hours or a couple days.[/list]

My 2 bits on Rub: I like the idea, but really you can spinkle a little on at the end or after cooking and let it sit a minute, then it's more versatile.

Back