Lump Coal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_Kuharious

Ok guys and gals, I bought a bunch of lump at HD this weekend(had it on sale). I have never used lump before. Does lump coal produce more ash than regular charcoal? There seemed to be ashes flying everywhere. It think I did a good job keeping it off the food, but is this normal or did I buy cheap lump?

M,
Lump will generally create far less ash than briquettes. However, some lump (you didn't indicate brand) "pops" a lot during the lighting process. I have read the Kingsford CharWood does this.
If lighting the lump in a chimney, newspaper will create a lot of ash. If this was the source, try soaking a paper towel in vegetable oil and using it to light the chimney. No ash that way.

Double check and make sure it is lump and not briquette. I bought the 2.99 special at HD and that is briquette and had the same problem you describe; ashes flying all over.

I was thinking of swinging by HD on the way home today and picking up a few bags of this sale charcoal. Based on what I'm reading I may change myu mind. Based on the preformance you've experience would you recommend picking up a couple bags or not? I'll more than likely using on my Performer vs. the WSM.

Thanks in advance.

Larry R. Fresno, CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000
22 1/2 Performer w/Touch-N-Go

Rats it is the briquettes. I guess i do not know the difference in lump and briquettes. I thought the bag said lump. I will have to check the bag when I get home. Rats.

Originally posted by LarryR:
I was thinking of swinging by HD on the way home today and picking up a few bags of this sale charcoal. Based on what I'm reading I may change myu mind. Based on the preformance you've experience would you recommend picking up a couple bags or not? I'll more than likely using on my Performer vs. the WSM.

Thanks in advance.QUOTE]

Not sure I would. I bought three bags thinking I got a good deal. Man I have a lot to learn. Trial and error. What brand of lump should i look at using and where can I find them?

Originally posted by M_Kuharious:
Not sure I would. I bought three bags thinking I got a good deal. Man I have a lot to learn. Trial and error. What brand of lump should i look at using and where can I find them?

I would recomend trying Royal Oak Lump, there are better, but there are many more that are worse
icon_wink.gif
They rebrand a lot for other people. I don't know where you are located, but here in SoCal I kind find it 365 days at the Walmart. If you find something else and want details about it check out The Naked Whiz

Was it windy out and/or do you pull your lid straight up versus sliding it to the side to keep from sucking ashes up? The lump I use has light ash and will pull straight up if you pull the lid straight up off the kettle.

The lump I use has light ash and will pull straight up if you pull the lid straight up off the kettle.
I'll give that a try. Other than the ash flying, this Rancher doesn't seem bad.

I picked up a bag to try though I won't be home all weekend, gonna give it a try as soon as I can in the kettle.

Paul, just to clarify, I find it's best to lift the lid slightly and rock it to the side like your trying to slip it into one of those slide aside lid holders, pulling straight up causes suction which will pull the ashes up on your food.

Ipurchased 5 bags, the brand was rancher 100% natural hardwood briquettes. I tried it out on my kettle with a boneless 4.5 lb pork butt. Lid temp was a steady 350 and I didn't add and additional coals. It cooked for 3.75 hrs and I was able to grill some thin cut rib eyes. I noticed the floating ash, but that was not a problem as long as I removed the lid one side at a time. I think it is good stuff.

I got around to trying some of this charcoal in my kettle, it's good stuff but it does put off a lot of floating ash as noted. I was able to keep it settled by tilting the lid aside for the most part but it was breezy out and that still kicked some of it up.

I did notice on the nakedwhiz's review of Original Charcoal company's lump, it made the second most ash of any brand they tested, looks like the briquettes are made of the same wood and do the same thing.

I'm saving the rest of the bag for my next smoke, ash shouldn't be as much of a problem in the WSM.

ok, so my question would be what lump should i try? since i thought i that was what i was getting. i saw kingsford lump at target, but at 6 bucks a bag kinda expensive. i do have 2 1/2 bags of this charwood coal to go through, but what do you all think?

Rancher briquettes work very well for smoking or indirect grilling, and are a real bargain at that price. It is OK for direct grilling if there is no wind. No reason to throw it out or give up on it.

As for what type of lump charcoal, the best source seems to be Naked Whiz reviews. Many brands of lump are sold regionally, so you'll have to figure out what you have in your area. Stay away from Cowboy which is also sold as Martha Stewart and Whole Foods private label among others. Cowboy is made from recycled flooring with plywood and ceramic insulation thrown in for seasoning.

another question, should i even be using lump with grillin'. i do mainly direct heat cooking. should i stick with kingsford bricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back