BBQ ribs

Mark Cov

Whats up all.

1st time post and I am doing my first smoke this weekend. I just have a couple questions on smoking a couple of baby backs.

1. Should I use water during my smoke?

2. What is the best temp to cook the ribs at?

thanks
Mark

Hey Mark, those are some pretty open ended questions and you're probably going to get many different opinions. Here's mine for what it's worth:
Water - no, just creates a mess to clean-up. I use a clay saucer in my WSM. If your cooker is new you might have a bit of a challenge keeping in the desired temp range, but then again you may not.

Temp - I'm a 225 - 250 measured at the grate guy

Most importantly enjoy your cook.

Welcome Mark
icon_smile.gif
Don't know your location/climate... but here's a simple way to do ribs the first time: ...Start with a chimney of unlit topped with a chimney of lit coals...then, add 4-5 fist sized chunks of smoke wood...assemble the cooker and add 1.5gals boiling H2O to the waterpan. Next, add the ribs, and leave top vent full open and bottom 3 vents set to 30% open.....the weber dome therm will climb to the vertical position, close enough....checkem for doneness around 3 hrs 45mins.... continue as needed ...easy-peasy
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the advice. My ribs came out a little over done, but they were still tender. Hopefully if the weather holds up I'll be able to cook again this weekend.

thanks
mark

Hey, Mark. For your next rib cook I second most of what Ron says. I use my water pan (you can foil it to make cleanup easy, but I don't) and fill it with warm water up to about an inch from the top of the pan.

I don't use as much smoke wood and I use much more charcoal than Ron though. I always use a full ring of charcoal regardless of what I'm cooking. Unless it's a really long cook, I'll have plenty left over for the next smoke. I put two fist-sized or three smaller chunks along just inside the ring and fill the ring with K. I add about half a chimney of lit coal to that (more if the weather's bad).

I cook my ribs 3-1-1, put 'em on the rack for three hours, foil for an hour, then back on the rack out of foil for one final hour. I've never had any doneness issues using this forumla, but YMMV, so adjust as necessary.

Finally, I echo Larry's advice, enjoy yourself!

Back