Dried Porcini Mushrooms - Source?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Our Atlanta Trader Joe's have again discontinued their dried porcini mushrooms. Does anyone have a good, reasonable source for them?

I see that Amazon carries a pretty big selection. What kind of shelf life do they have? Buy in quantity?

Rita

Rita,
I'm no help on sources, but wonder if you've considered drying your own?

They can be done in a low oven, but an inexpensive dehydrator works great.
I've made them a few times using baby Bellas from Costco.
000_0203.jpg

Even used a coffee grinder on some for rubs, etc.
000_0205.jpg

Helpful info here.

Bob, a dehydrator is a good idea. It would probably pay for itself in a fairly short time, just using it for porcinis. But I'd have to figure out what else to use it for. We have a family member who is not keen on sundried tomatoes.

What ingredients do you specifically use your dehydrator for? I'm not familiar with their options. Do they have higher and lower heat settings? Seems like they would heat up an indoor space.

Atlanta just broke a record for a string of consecutive days & months over 90°. I could probably slice the mushrooms, spread them out in my car, and park the car in the sun!

Have to have porcinis. They've been my "secret ingredient" for years. Like you, I like to keep a small jar of powdered porcinis, especially to add to gravies and beefy things and to boost the flavor of a mushroom saute made with white or cremini mushrooms.

Rita

Rita,
I'm not too keen on sundried tomatoes myself, wish I did like them.

I have a Nesco cheapy from Walmart, bought years ago.
The only ones on Amazon that are similar seem a bit high for casual use, but this one. is about $40 with shipping.
You might check around at Walmart, Target, etc., or even craigslist.

When the kids were young I made fruit leather out of applesauce.
I've also used it to finish drying beef/deer jerky after giving it a smoking.
I've dried apples, and bananas too.

The cheaper units have only one setting, and all put out some heat of course.

Good luck if you try one, and thanks for sharing your "secret ingredient" I promise not to tell!

Thanks for the tip on adding the powdered mushrooms. Such a good idea but I never thought of it.

I always learn something when I read your posts Rita. Thanks.

Rita,
In the past I have purchased dried morels on line - got 2 pounds for about $60 vs paying $7 for 1.5 ounces in most stores. If you know someone who is a chef, you can probably get them to order some from their supplier.
Ray

Back