Long Burns w/Lump in WSM??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

can anyone give tips on using lump in the WSM for long cooks, like for picnics?

I tried once, but had to keep adding lit lump, I must not have started out w/the right amt of unlit/lit lump, or the wrong ratio.

I have royal Oak Natural hardwood lump, I hope this brand is OK. I previoiusly used
charwood from peopleswoods.

Anyone out there have the right tricks for long burns w/lump?
Thanks

Tim

Lump does not burn as long you will have to add more coals for long cooks. You can start with full fire ring of unlit lump and add burning coals on top, keep a close eye on the pit temps, you will find that your bottom vents will not need to open much to get the temps you want. Lump burns hotter and faster just need to take it into consideration while minding the pit.
Jim

I use lump from peopleswood. And as Jim says fill the ring to the top. Lit lump and smoke wood go on top of the unlit lump. I often do a cook starting at midnight. Once I get the temp I want with the food on the smoker I bring the bottom vents down to about 10% open. I then go to bed and wake up around 6. Never have had a problem with temps being too low. (One night though the wind kicked up pretty good and I woke up to find the smoker cranking along at 300*!).

Using this method I get burns of 8-10 hours before needing to refuel.

Chris

Chris:

How much lit lump do you use to begin with, and what temps do you find that the cooker stabilizes the longest at?

I'm using chips wrapped in foil, I typically put in a small cast iron plate on top of the
coals in the ring, this way the plates heat causes the chips to slowly smoke rather than catch fire, or begin the ignition process which causes bitter, billowing white smoke. I hope I can still use this method w/the lump and that it won't impede the air flow of the burning lump.

Thanks for responding

I use one chimney full of lit lump to get things going. Probably a bit more than you could fit into a shoebox. A highly recommended accessory. You can buy 'em on amazon and they have cheap ones at home depot.

As for temps, I find I only have problems if I dont allow the cooker to really get cranking before putting the meats on. I let the cooker run up to the 275* - 300* ballpark. I put my meat on and close the bottom vents down a bit. Usually things stablize around 250* pretty quickly. Lump burns hot and at this point (meats on and the cooker at 250*) I can close down my bottom vents to about 10% and get a long burn. After 6 or so unattended hours the temp will have dropped to about 220*. But things like wind and the amount of meat impact how much air I need to let in. Sometimes I close em all the way (windy) sometimes open as much as 75% (lots of meat). Around the 8-9 hour point it will be time to refuel or open the vents all the way to allow the small amount of fuel left to keep that 220-250* range for about another hour.

I can't speak to the chip method. I like using fist sized chunks. I happen to live near the peoplewoods factory which is located in RI. I buy 50lb. bags of applewood for $20.

hope this helps,

Chris

Well, the long burn w/lump worked good.
I've got 80 lbs of lump, 40 lbs each special ordered from Ace and Tru Value.

Here in SE Mich Saturday the temp was around low 30's, I kept the unit out of the wind, so I got about 7.5 hrs cooking time at between 225 - 250 at the lid temp.I was cooking 17 lbs of meat ( 3 picnics). After the 7.5 hrs in the WSM smoking along, I moved them into the Weber Genesis 1100 to finish.

Another question, the last two times I've cooked picnics, its taken 2+ hrs per pound, this last time maintaining a temp 225-250.
Wow, this is way longer than expected. I may start a new thread on this topic. What have you guys gotten in terms of hrs/pound of cooking time. I took mine to 185+ internal meat temp.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Tim
I cook Butts rather than Picnics, I cook to
185-205? internal, they are 5 to 7 pounds each and take 10 to 16 hours. At 185? you can slice, at 205? we will pull them.
Your times sound ok.
Jim

Hi Tim!!

One problem you may have on the extended time is your temp in the pit. You said you maintaned 225-250? in the lid.......that lid may be up to 50? hotter than the grills......even at a 20? difference, that puts your lower end around 200?. That makes for a long time cooking.

I also do butts and they are a finicky piece of meat. I would say I haven't ever gone over 2 hrs./lb. and mine are always brought to 205?.

The norm for me is 1 1/2 hrs./lb. However, you can add more time onto the regular if you are cooking several large pieces of meat.

Regardless..sounds like you did it up right!

Keep up the good work!

Stogie

I have another tip when it comes to picnics. The FAT MAN on alt.food.barbecue has told us that he cooks his butts and such at 250F to 300F with no noticable change in taste.

I have made several butts at 250F to 275F and they were just as good as the 225F butts. Just a time saving tip. Try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back