charcoal go anywhere observation

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
was reading up and exploring ga uses. ran across a site in australia. there was a discussion on the ga and one thing was pointed out that the side damper slide works better if installed upside down from how weber shows. one of the main points is that with the slide "ears" facing down, that when the ga is placed on a flat surface the slide is forced up and actually uncovers the vent holes thus allowin ash to escape. the other thing is that you can easily see the vent holes when the slide is installed upside down. so checked it out today and have to agree. weber messed this one up also.

I bought a CL GA C over the summer, it didn't seem to fit together very well. I looked it over several times and turned the side dampers upside down and thought it had served for almost 30 years put together wrong. Never thought about it again until your post. Nice catch.

yea, when i latch on to something i kinda get anal/obsessed about it. funny how folks in australia caught this. at least its the only place that i read about this issue. i know that mine will be "upside down".

well, i just looked at my charcoal ga and if the vents are put on upside down then the legs will hit the part sticking out when the legs are put up in the locking position. i'll have to study this more. i do like it upside down cuz i can see the vents rather than having to look at them underneath.

Back