Magnetic knife bar

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
So I am starting to look at a new knife storage solution as we babyproof. Currently the knife block resides in a lower cabinet ( i hate things on the counter). Since that isn't a good spot as the twins get mobile, we are going to move the knives to a bar.

So for everyone that stores their knives this way:
Any suggestions on things to looks for (finish, material etc)
Size reccomendations
Suggestions for where to purchase on the chaep?

Any and all input is appreciated

That's all I use. Mine is about 15 inches or so. For me, the longer the better.If I were to do it again, I would want one that is long enough that I could secure it to the studs behind the drywall, ie, longer than 16 inches.

I think I got mine off amazon.

check the construction, mine is flat metal from ikea. I dont like mine much because it tends to scratch the finish on my knives, and the metal exterior seems to hid the fact that the magnets don't go the length of the bar.

I just got a rockler woodworking ad in the mail, they have a mag tool bar on sale, 2 for 17.99. I was thinking of getting them so I can put one in my cooking "lab."

I just ordered an under counter mounted, swiveling block as seen here.

I don't have it yet, but I've read good things about it, and it looks promising.

JimT

I've used magnetic bars for a very long time. I want to grab a knife immediately and bars are best for this, imo. Too, I have a lot of knives and blocks and drawers are impractical.

If you're careful you can minimize surface scratching from a bar. I'm not and don't really care so the bars I have are inexpensive. There are bars that are covered in a way that prevents scratching. See here for an example. They are more expensive but I've seen them much cheaper than the one in the link.

I had the one from Ikea and it had problems holding up a 9" chef's knife if I didn't place it on their flat. So I ended up only keeping smaller knives on it. I upgraded to the Wusthof one and it is a much much stronger magnet. You almost have to pry the cleaver off there it is so strong.

I had thought about putting a run of black electrical tape along the magnets edge, just to protect a few of my nicer Japanese knives from abrasion. But I don't worry about the others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
I had thought about putting a run of black electrical tape along the magnets edge, just to protect a few of my nicer Japanese knives from abrasion. But I don't worry about the others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or, if you care about appearance, you could do the same thing with self-adhesive contact paper - the clear type is plastic, and probably tough enough for this purpose.

We have used magnetic bars mounted on the side of the kitchen cabinet for years. We find it very convenient....tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had thought about putting a run of black electrical tape along the magnets edge, just to protect a few of my nicer Japanese knives from abrasion. But I don't worry about the others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

glad I'm not the only one loony around here.
icon_biggrin.gif

If you're looking for something asthetically pleasing as well as protective of your knives edges, you need a Mag Block.

I bought a cherry one for our Shun's. Looks great and has a very strong magnet. Really great product.

PS: Get an 18" bar and change out the #8 1-1/2" screws for some #10 2" screws. You can get them at any Lowes/HD.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Rabin:
If you're looking for something asthetically pleasing as well as protective of your knives edges, you need a Mag Block.

I bought a cherry one for our Shun's. Looks great and has a very strong magnet. Really great product.

PS: Get an 18" bar and change out the #8 1-1/2" screws for some #10 2" screws. You can get them at any Lowes/HD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those look really nice Steve, and inexpensive too. This is on my must have list, thanks for the link!

That Mag Block is really cool. It might be my next purchase, as cabinet space is at a premium in my house.

Hi there

For me the best solution was individual magnets from Eve Solo, as seen here. I have 4 main knives, 1 chefs knife, a japaneese santoku, a smaller chefs and pairing knife. Others can be stored in a drawer since I rarely use them.

These are with a rubber guard, and the individual rings can be spaced apart from each other.

I'm tempted to try to build my own magnetic knife bar. I have 4 rare-earth magnets salvaged from dead hard drives, and this would be an interesting use for them.

Well there goes the business idea I had at the beginning of this thread.
icon_biggrin.gif
I was thinking of using the exact same method, rare earth magnets counter drilled into the back of a piece of maple. Those magnets come in handy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
Well there goes the business idea I had at the beginning of this thread.
icon_biggrin.gif
I was thinking of using the exact same method, rare earth magnets counter drilled into the back of a piece of maple. <span class="ev_code_RED">Those magnets come in handy.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do, but watch your fingers!
icon_wink.gif

Back