Cracked Grate, must return?

Mark Parber

I've just received my 2nd Q200 after the first one had some issues (described here). Excited to finally have a replacement, I opened the box and started to look over the pieces and put it together. I should note that the bottom of the box had a sizable hole torn in it (probably from shipping). The bottom of the box is of course where the cooking grate is placed. Despite my hopes that the cast iron grate would be free from damage, I have found a crack in the grate
icon_frown.gif
. The crack is rather small, starting from the outside edge of the grate and continuing inwards to the first gap in the grate (between the bars). In total, it is ~1.5cm long. The crack appears to be through the entire the grate as well as I can flip over the grate and see the same crack on the underside.

I just want to get cooking already, so my question is whether the grate functionality and/or longevity is compromised by a crack of this size? Since the grate is cast iron, I'm guessing that the crack may be a likely starting point for rust (which will be very hard to stop since I can't get into the crack to clean it out).

Any thoughts?

call Weber and talk to them, include the fact that it is the second one and maybe they will ship a new grate to you. then you could start using it now and replace the grate when it arrives.

You should take some pictures of the box and grate too, just in case.

I agree with DoD
Call Weber and have the shipping details at hand as well and ensure you take photos.

Ask them if you can start cooking on the damaged grill until the replacement arrives.
They should agree to that.

Regards

Thanks for the input guys. I contacted the vendor first and they suggested I return it for a refund. I did that and ordered a Q220 that was on sale online. Hopefully it arrives without any damage/defects.

Back