1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon hickory smoked salt
2 (12-ounce bottles) American lager beer
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 (18-ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
16 chicken wing drumettes
16 strips thinly sliced bacon
16 heavy duty toothpicks

Preheat grill. If using charcoal, bank the charcoal on 1 side of grill. If using a gas cooker, light only one half of the grill.
In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, hops, malted barley, cumin, kosher salt, chili seasoning, pepper, celery salt, and smoked salt. Set aside.

In large bowl whisk 1 bottle of lager beer with 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture and the olive oil. Set aside.

In a saucepan, whisk together remaining bottle of lager beer and the barbecue sauce for a beer glaze.

For "bull horns", cut the skin and tendons around the base of the drumette. Push chicken meat up into a ball forming a "lollypop-like" shape. Wrap the ball of chicken meat with a strip of regular bacon. Secure the bacon to the drumette by skewering with a toothpick.

Place the bull horns in the bowl of marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to overnight.

Remove bull horns from marinade. Sprinkle generously with the spice mixture. Place on the indirect (unlit) side of the grill and close the cover.

Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken juices run clear and bacon is crispy, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Smother with the beer glaze, grill, turning often, to caramelize all over, about another 10 minutes.

Note: This recipe makes more spice mixture that you'll need, but will keep for several months in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place. Leftover beer glaze will keep in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

Anyone have any pictures of these?

Maybe I'm being a bit dim here, but it would be useful to see a picture of the finished product.

Sorry I haven't taken any pictures when I made them. I looked but could find any pictures on the food network either. The recipe is from BBQ with Bobby Flay. The process is like frenching a rib chop if that helps at all. You just cut through to the bone all the way around at the base of the drumette and push all of the skin and meat up. Really easy to eat wings made this way. Like chicken lollipops.

Back