Sweet Tea

Bob James

Gang - I've been hearing about a reallly good ice tea mix from the South East called "Sweet Tea". As usual, I'm hosting the Father's Day party this June and thought I'd like to serve this as well. Do any of our southern friends have a family recipe they might want to share? Thanks! - Bob

Southern sweet tea is very simple to make. I make it a couple times a week.

Bring 1/2 gal. of water to a boil. Add 3 Lipton Family size tea bags. Cut off the heat to the water and let the tea steep for 30-45 minutes. Remove the tea bags and add sugar to your liking while the tea is still warm to dissolve the sugar(1 use 1 7/8 cups pure cane sugar). Pour the mix into a gallon jug, then add enough water to the mix to make 1 gallon of tea when finished. I would start at 1 1/2 cups and adjust from there until it tastes the way you like it, just make sure when you add sugar it dissolves as much as possible.

Easy peezy, lemon squeezy.

Here's a tip that my mother in law and wife have done for years. They make up a dense sugar water ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. Basically they melt the sugar in water to make a concentrate. They then add it when making tea. No need to worry about it all melting or stirring until it does. It also keeps the tea clear and less cloudy this way for some reason.

I make iced tea out of Trader Joe's English Breakfast Tea. Even after a day or two in the fridge, it still tastes good. Lipton acquires a sour, off taste the next day.

Back