Tear Jerker's *****

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
What's your 2 or 3 best tear jerker songs?
#1 Teddy Bear, by Red Sovine
icon_frown.gif
icon_frown.gif

#2 Don't Take the Girl, by Tim McGraw
icon_frown.gif

#3 Something to Believe In, by Poison
Gime what you got.
icon_smile.gif

Okay. Obscure here.

A little story for the first (I'm sitting in dreary Cleveland so indulge me please): In 1982 I was the stage manager and lighting designer for a show called 'La Môme Piaf', a piece about the life of the French chanteuse, Edith Piaf. We'd played San Francisco and were now in L.A. As usual, when I killed the lights at the very end of the show, the audience would applaud and Pati, the lead who played Piaf, would return to the stage for the curtain call. She usually got a standing ovation and calls for another number so I'd kill the stage lights, set the warmers, and throw the follow spot on her. Then I'd emerge from my tech booth up behind the audience and stand in an aisle to watch the encore. All this occurred.

This night, Scott, the pianist and musical director, started playing something different than the usual encores Pati sang. I had not heard it from him before but I recognized the tune, vaguely; its elegiac melody caught me. It was 'Autumn Leaves'. Pati did the song in French, Scott played a brief interlude, and then she sang a refrain in English.

Though the song is about pining for a long lost summer romance (The autumn leaves/ drift by my window/ the falling leaves/ of red and gold/ I see your lips/ the summer kisses/ the sunburned hands/ I used to hold), I had images of my mother playing with me outside as a child; her hands holding mine--I could smell the grass and feel the heat from the sun.

When she sang the last lines (But I miss you most of all my darling/ when autumn leaves start to fall) I could barely see the stage the tears were flowing so.

I couldn't get back to the booth to fade the lights. I just stood there. A moment later I looked to my right. Seated there in an aisle seat was Beah Richards (for those of you that recall, Sidney Poitier's mother in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner). She looked at me--with tears streaming down her face--and took my hand. The sound man, fortunately, got a grip on the lighting situation, faded them so that Pati could exit, then brought the house lights up. I helped Ms. Richards up from her seat and we hugged each other. We said nothing: I had no idea how/why the song prompted tears from her but then I looked around. There were many more than the two of us so affected.

The song pops into my head sometimes. It still moves me the same way.

Happy tears from "High Tide", an early 70s song from Batteaux.

Tracy Chapman's "Baby Can I Hold You" from her '88 debut; wistful tears.

I'm gonna take a slightly different route in answering this question.
When I hear "How Great Thou Art" I can't hold back the tears, especially the verse And when I think/ That God, His Son not sparing,/ sent Him to die/ I scarce can take it in/ That on the cross/ my burden gladly bearing/ He bled and died/ to take away my sin.
It just moves me to no end.

"If Tomorrow Never Comes"-Garth Brooks, "Where've You Been"-Kathy Mattea, "How Can I Help You Say Goodbye"- Patty Loveless.

Kevin K,
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Steve

Taps - No explanation needed for that one.

Amazing Grace, bagpipe version. Gets me everytime.

Sloop John B by Kingston Trio. One of my father's favorites, whom I recently laid to rest. Dad was in the US Merchant Marine for many years. He used to tell me when I was a kid that the senses of loneliness and homesickness conveyed in this song were truly the way things were at sea. I played this one at his memorial service.

Scott

One of my all time favorite songs,

How deep the Father's love for us/How vast beyond all measure/That he should give His only Son/To make a wretch His treasure...

I don't know if this qualifies as a tear jerker, but the Keith Whitley tune "When you say nothing at all" sung by Allison Krauss and Union Station is pretty dramatic. I heard somewhere that it's supposed to be a great wedding song, but was shocked when my daughter jumped in my car and it came out of her Ipod instead of the Rap I usually hear!
Houston Kid-Rodney Crowell

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"If Tomorrow Never Comes"-Garth Brooks,
Yes. And "The Dance". If I'm in the right mood when I hear that one...
cry.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's a good one, too!
Steve

Originally posted by Bryan S:
What's your 2 or 3 best tear jerker songs?
#1 Teddy Bear, by Red Sovine
icon_frown.gif
icon_frown.gif

#2 Don't Take the Girl, by Tim McGraw
icon_frown.gif

#3 Something to Believe In, by Poison
Gime what you got.
icon_smile.gif
No tearjerkers by Godsmack Bryan???
17.gif

Bill

I can nominate "Tear in Heaven" as well.

Sometime after 9 - 11 I got a narration of the history of the "Star Spangle Banner" followed by a very nice rendition. I get chills every time I hear it.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

The biggest jerker for me is John Michael Montgomery - Letters From Home. I well up every time.

Thinking about it that may seem odd but not for me. I haven't spent anytime in a war zone but everything else in that song applies to everyone who was in the military. The part about when he folds the letter up and puts it back in his shirt and pick up his rifle and get back to work. It reminds me of a day long ago when our platoon was out in formation. We were at a stand still and sitting in formation, taking the time to wipe down our rifles and bs. One of the guys was one of the type that he always carried the latest letter from home and would read it constantly. We started razzing him and had him read it aloud. Shortly afterwards it was time to get back at it and still remembering him fold up that letter today. Almost like it was sacred to him. Also makes me remember missing loved ones and only talking to them on a limited schedule. Apparantly I don't even have to hear the song as writing about it will produce similar results.

How Great Thou Art will get them everytime as well as Don't take the girl.

I just thought of a couple more songs.
Who's gonna fill their shoes by George Jones
Taps is another one that will do it everytime.

Back