Wasn't crazy about the apple brined turkey.

John Carlson

TVWBB Member
I did my first apple brined turkey. followed the brine directions exactly. I had a little trouble keeping the wsm above 300. The white meat was ok but the skin wasn't crispy and bitter tasting (probably because of the lower temp). The dark meat wasn't great it tasted a little bitter. I had high hopes so I was a little dissapointed. I used cherry and apple wood. Any ideas on the bitter taste? maybe not letting the wood burn down enough?

I don't know how much wood that you used, but I did the Apple-brined and I used 4 cups of Apple juice and 1 cup of water. I also added a jar of honey.

As for the wood, I used 2 medium chunks of cherry, and 3 smaller chunks of Apple.

I used my GURU, set the pit temp to 300, and the meat temp to 165. I put the probe into the breast. I did chill the breast prior to cooking, though. Everyone in the family said that it was the best turkey that they have ever eaten.

I coated the skin with a light coat of veggy oil, and coarsly ground a small amout of both sea salt and black pepper on the skin. Was the crispiest skin that I have ever done short of deep frying.

Sounds to me like you may have had too low cooking temps, and too much smoke. just my thoughts.

about 3 small/medium chunks of apple and 2 1 inch by 5 inch cherry chunks. I'm thinkin maybe I shoul have let the would calm a bit before putting the bird on.

I did the apple brined turkey but butterflied it as well. My temps started around 260 and rose to 325 after about 45 min or so. I have trouble getting high heat early at altitude.

I put on a very full chimney of lit and put the turkey in the smoker for 20 minutes. Then I added a single fist-sized chunk of apple. Very light smoke let the apple brine flavors be featured with just a hint of smoke.

Skin looked great but was tough, however I don't eat the turkey skin. next time I might rub the brined turkey skin with olive oil and sprinkle on a little salt just before cooking to see if that crisps up the skin. But I think a lot of sugar from the brine is in the skin which makes it tough.

Sounds like you had a lot of smoke in there for turkey.

to get the skin crispy, it's important to let it air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.

if your meat was bitter, it wasn't the brine at fault.

The bitter taste sounds like you might have had too much smoke. This year I probably used less than half the amount of wood (cherry only for me) that you did if I am understanding your measurements. I personally think that with turkey and pork, you are better off will less than more because it is really easy to oversmoke them both both.

As far as the skin goes, the ticket is to rinse the bird once you take it out of the brine and dry it thoroughly before allowing it to air dry in the refrigerator. I use just a light brushing of canola oil right before I put it on the grate. I prefer canola oil over olive oil because of the neutral flavor and higher smoke point.

Chris,

I think the bitterness came from being oversmoked (which is easy to do with turkey). I used 2 small-medium chunks (one apple, one oak) and that was perfect for us. I assume you left the top vent open. If not, that would be part of the problem as well. You definitely want to go lighter on the smoke with poultry than you do pork or beef.

I agree with the oversmoking. Next time maybe 1 small chunk. I let it air dry for about 14-15 hrs but I think the skin was due to the lower temp. I shredded all the meat and mixed white and dark together and it isn't too bad that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
To me fruit and any meat just don't work. I can see it in wood for smoking. Just my .02 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike, i'm not understanding your statement...
Are you saying fruit WOOD and any meat don't work??
icon_confused.gif

If so, what types of wood would you consider using for smoke?
icon_confused.gif

John, I wouldn't get discouraged. Good BBQ no matter the type, is a product of learning. I love the WSM mountain because it seems to be the best smoker out there for repetitive results.

This site has some very smart folks, and offers up some great new ideas and recipes. One thing that I have learned over the years about BBQ, is that there really are no shortcuts.

A bad day barbequing is better than a good day working.

I love fruit with chicken. I grill a lot of chicken in the summer with various marinades of citrus depending on whats around and in season. I wouldn't do it with beef.

Like everybody else has said, might be low temps/too much smoke. I did the apple brine, tossed in some maple syrup and honey; it was wonderful. As others have said, to rinse really really well, after brine, let air-dry in frig but with any bird, but esp. turkey, I'm careful with how much fruit wood. I have a lot of apple, just locally, it's here and use it, but sparingly on turkey. Would suggest a breast plate of sausage patty but after seeing Jim's turkey, I defer to his throned wisdom on turkey: I'm getting a beer-can turkey holder. (Thanks for "making me" spend more money, Jim:)) I think the temp was the issue John. Lots of folks like low/slow turkey, I guess but it's just too lean for that, imo. I try to go around 325-350. But don't know what, aside from green wood, might have made, esp. dark meat, taste bitter. Hmm. Keep pluggin.'

My first chicken came out a wing-ed anvil. Got busy and temps soared on kettle. "Wonder where those beeps are coming from? Probably firetruck/EMS. OH and fried probe too?" Just keep at it! I think that's what we all plod along doing. (How can a clod of black meat hit a hard plastic garbage bin and ping? Dang.)

Thanks for all the input! I'm convinced it was low temps. I'll give the same recipe another shot. Like I said, the leftovers were pretty good. This skin just wasn't as crispy as I expected and a little smokey. Live and learn.

JOhn, the way I understand it is low and slow gives you rubbery skin. 325-350 gives you crispy skin. As far as the bitter taste you've got good tips from the others. Probably as they said too much smoke. Turkey,fish,chicken,meatloaf don't need a lot of smoke.

Back