Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I know this recipe is posted around here somewhere but I can't seem to locate it using the search tool. You can read it here.

I've had it in the back of mind to try it for some time, and I thought now might be good time so it would be ready for christmas.

I liked the concept of the recipe (curing whole tenderloins) but not the details, so I changed a bit and I'm hoping things work out. If not, I'm only out $12 for the four pack of tenderloins.

I started by trimming off the silver skin and knocking off the tapered ends. I assumed these would dry out too much and figured they be put to better use in a stir fry (which they were and they were good).

IMG_5433.JPG

I added the cure to the tenderloins.

1460 g tenderloins
60 g salt*
12 g dextrose
3 g cure #2
15 g pate spice**
12 g minced garlic

IMG_5435.JPG

They stayed in the cure for 3 days. Next post, I'll tie them and hang them.

* 60/1460 = 4% I'm tired of making overly salty charcuterie. I thought I'd try 4% and see where it gets me.

** from American Charcuterie by Victoria Wise, pate spice: 1 blk pepper, 1 wht pepper, 1/2 coriander, 1/2 ginger, 1/4 nutmeg, 1/4 clove.

J I think you're really going to like the results on this.

It's surprising how deep the flavor and great the texture is for how little work you have to put into this dish. It's finally getting cold enough in Colorado for my cellar to remain 50-60 degrees day 'round so I'm gonna do these again asap. Let us know how it turns out!

Am I correct in assuming that the end result is something like Canadian bacon? I'll send you my mailing address and look forward to my Christmas present. Thanks in advance!
icon_wink.gif

I'm hoping for the best Dave. I really haven't ruined anything yet, but I'm still not all that confident.

After the curing, I rinsed the loins extremely well and decided to give myself some extra protection against case hardening by wrapping the tenderloins in casings. I don't recall what size they are. I originally bought them a while back to do EOR (for bresaola), and well...they were a tad small for that
icon_eek.gif
. Luckily they turned out to be perfect for the pork tenderloins.

IMG_5445.JPG

actually a bit big, so I tied them up and pricked the air pockets

IMG_5446.JPG

they were hung in a small room in my basement. When I keep the door shut it stays a bit cooler than the rest of the basement.

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG

Am I correct in assuming that the end result is something like Canadian bacon? I'll send you my mailing address and look forward to my Christmas present. Thanks in advance! Wink

you'll have to enlighten me. The Canadian bacon I know (peameal bacon) is loin, brined and rolled in cornmeal. I have heard that most Canadian bacon is not peameal, but I'm not really that familiar with it.

These are nothing like canadian bacon when finished. Canadian bacon is like cooked ham.

These are more like very lean proscuitto. Bright red, chewy in texture, and salty.

All great stuff! My last batch I cased two and left two without. Then one of each (Cased/Not) I inoculated with white surface mold (600 Bactoferm). Most favorite was cased with the mold.
Last batch of Saucisson Pork Tenderloin prior to hanging...
29641_1426128701939_6965882_n.jpg

Last edited:
Last batch of Saucisson Pork Tenderloin prior to hanging...

dang! those look great!

where did you get the 600 bactoferm? I've been meaning to order some.

do you recall the size of your casings? the look like a better fit than mine.

J, I believe those were 60mm Still a bit large but just folded them under.
I tried the smaller 43mm but they were too difficult to bother with.
The 600 Bactoferm
Now with that info understand that that the majority of the world would say it's unnecessary. To me: Cheap Insurance AND from what I found (so far) a significant contribution to flavor on the final product.
You know...
Aside: The tying is really completely unnecessary. It just makes me feel good and it's great for show! Practice, practice grasshopper.

I like to use mold as a surface barrier/insurance as well. I haven't used the commercial bactoferm yet. I usually buy a small, local salami that is covered with a nice bloom of mold. I then roll it over the outside of my Braseola, Saucioin, what have you, before hanging. I imagine the mold is the same as the commercial stuff. So it is a more costly way of buying bactoferm but then I get to eat the salami. I read about this trick on one of the chacuterie blogs and it works really well. By the way, I'm presently hanging my Saucion in a well ventillated area but the temp is a steady 67. I'm nervous that this may be too high a temp. Anyone have experience curing above 60 degrees F? My only alternative right now is the fridge. Maxwell

after ten days, the loins have lost about 35% of their original mass, they still seem pretty soft. what am I looking for? I thought I was looking for 30% loss?

here they are after a week. the top ends were firmer that the bottoms so I flipped the direction they were hanging.

IMG_5466.JPG

Now with that info understand that that the majority of the world would say it's unnecessary. To me: Cheap Insurance AND from what I found (so far) a significant contribution to flavor on the final product.
You know...
Aside: The tying is really completely unnecessary. It just makes me feel good and it's great for show! Practice, practice grasshopper.

that's funny, I read everything posted at that blog but never really read the comments, guess I should.

Tying does seem like a waste, its barely hanging on now that the loins have lost significant weight.

J - Have to look at my log (when I get hm) as how as to how long I hung the last batch for. 35-40 % weight loss would seem right to me...
"what am I looking for?" fairly firm but not "pepperoni" hard. Ten days seems a bit short but let me check my notes.
"top ends were firmer that the bottoms so I flipped" I always do that! Any clue as to the humidity level? It's almost more about that then temp.
"Tying does seem like a waste"... yah but it's FUN and people are so impressed!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Any clue as to the humidity level? It's almost more about that then temp.

check the pic of my meter up thread
icon_rolleyes.gif

they are still pretty soft. I may take one down in a few days and see where its at.

Jeff, you gotta post the updated pics.

patience grasshopper...

Its funny that you should say something because we were first sampling it, last night, when I got the email notification of your post.

at 10 days the loins were at 65% of their original weight and still pretty raw in the center. After another 10 days they were at 45% and seemed nice and dry throughout. The duration of the drying, temps were >60* and RH was around 65%.

I was just starting to get some wild molds growing, so I stripped the casings before I vac packed. In the pics, the loins look a little furry from some of the papery casing that adhered to them.

The flavor was interesting. I liked the salt balance, and the sweet is pretty well hidden. Garlic came through nicely. The spice was a bit over the top. Nobody complained, everyone liked it, some thought it was perfect, but we got comments like "christmasy" and "baloney." The nutmeg/ginger/clove was probably the christmas flavor, and the nutmeg/coriander/white pepper was the baloney. I agreed with both sentiments and feel that if someone wanted to repeat my recipe, the amount of pate spice should be cut in half.

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

IMG_5571.JPG

This might sound like a dumb question but when the product is finished couldn't you just wash off the mold and put on a oil finished of some kind.

Myself, I will eat just about anything but if you tell my family the white stuff is mold I would get a bunch of turned up noses.

They look good to me.

Back