Thermometer/Cold Weather

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
If you attach/mount, a temp guage. Do you leave it outside, in the cold weather, in the North East. Temps 0 or below, will the throw off the accuracy on the thermometer. Also curious as to what is the coldest outside temp, you ever used your smoker, and how was the food. Thanks,
John

I have 2 WSM's and have Tel-Trus mounted in the lids of both. I remove them after every cook, or as soon as it is cool enough. I'm afraid that if I leave them in the elements, condensation may set in, thus rendering them useless or inaccurate. I use 1/2" NPT coupling to mount, makes for easy removal. Purchased to rubber stoppers from my local hardware to plug the holes when not in use. Cold temps are not a problem here, I worry more about humidity.

Dino,
Like the NPT coupling idea for quick disconnect .Think that's what I'l do. After every cook is a good idea, and I 'l do it. I'm also worried about the temp below freezing, having some affect on the accuracy. Best if kept in the house.
thanks,
John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
If you attach/mount, a temp guage. Do you leave it outside, in the cold weather, in the North East. Temps 0 or below, will the throw off the accuracy on the thermometer. Also curious as to what is the coldest outside temp, you ever used your smoker, and how was the food. Thanks,
John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My Ashcroft has been in the lid for 5+ years now here in Central PA. Yes some condensation builds up in it (burns off pretty quick) but it's still dead on. It gets hot here in the summer and cold as He!! in the winter, no worries.
icon_wink.gif
I'd be more worried about dropping it taking it out or putting it in then just leaving it be.
icon_eek.gif
JMO

I know someone who left their thermometer outside in the north east and it exploded. hahahahah. Now really. I don't think it would hurt the thermometer to leave it out there but here is the number for tru tel. They would know for sure.
true tel 8002325335

I leave mine in and haven't had any issues and I live in the snowbelt...and have cooked on my WSM in 20* and less temps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also curious as to what is the coldest outside temp, you ever used your smoker, and how was the food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the forum record is -40 and is owned by Dan Gilson.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/6110092864

The food should taste the same regardless of the outside temps as long as you can maintain the proper temps in the smoker.

Guess you just have to adjust the amount of charcoal you use for the colder weather. Unless you add a jacket as indicated on the post. I don't think it will get to 40 below on my back porch. Although, I could see cooking at 40-50 degrees. Thanks for all the info.
John

I have Tel-Trus in each of my WSMs, they stay in year round and the twins are kept outside.
I can't complete with -40* F, but I have cooked on them at at around -20* F. Food is probably better when it's that cold 'cuz you appreciate it more!

Back