Stoker Eyelet

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Received my new Stoker eyelets today (along with an extra probe) and there are no instructions with the package. Does anyone have info on how to install these? My Guru Eyelets came with instructions (and Ed C. used to live across the street and helped me) and it was pretty straight forward. These are different and I'm not mechanical at all. A little help please. Thanks in advance.

I gave mine away (I already had Guru eyelets installed, so I gave the Stoker ones to somebody who didn't have any), so I can't go look at them for an answer. But as I recall (and the photo seems to support), you just put the little cylinder through the hole, slip the large piece over the end, and tighten the Allen set screw to hold it in place.
grommet.jpg

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you've got the hardware in your hands.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you've got the hardware in your hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, you're very very kind. However, I can screw anything up when it comes to any kind of assembly. Believe it or not I actually screwed up putting the wheels on my OTG.

What's odd is it looks like the package I received doesn't include the part on the right hand side of the photo supplied. Here's a picture of the parts I was shipped. PICTURE It's difficult to tell depth from this picture but the two parts on the far side of the picture are washers, parts closest to you are the parts with the allen wrench screw thing.

It appears that they changed the design after the photo. The brass tubes have one end flared, apparently so it's large enough not to pull through the hole. That eliminates the need for two of the machined parts. My guess is: put the unflared end through the hole from the outside, and slide the other piece on from the inside, then tighten the set screw. Alternately, you might try putting the unflared end in from the inside, going through the washer first and then out through the hole, and putting the machined piece on the outside. Doing it that way, if the end of the tube is flush with the outside of the machined part, it would look nicer. Try both ways and see which seems to be better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and putting the machined piece on the outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm . . . I hate to admit this but I don't know which is the machined piece. I think I'm going to see if I can get Ed C. to come over and help me. I'm worthless when it comes to this crap. Man do I feel like a moron.

I am sorry, but can someone please fill me in on what a "stoker" is. I do not know anything about it, but based on what I am reading, I am very interested.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what a "stoker" is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Stoker is an Automatic Temperature Control System. It's a computerized unit that you connect to a fan motor mounted on your WSM, you set the pit temp you want to maintain and let her rip. Here are some PICTURES You can control your Stoker from your computer via your home network. I have mine hooked up to a wireless bridge so I'm 100% wireless. Cool stuff!

A Stoker eyelet replaces one of the bolts that go through the side of your WSM and you feed your temp probe wires through them so you don't damage them by running them under the lid etc.

There's also a unit called a DigiQ that basically does the same thing without the computer interface.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and putting the machined piece on the outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm . . . I hate to admit this but I don't know which is the machined piece. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, there are only 3 parts. The brass tube is a brass tube. The washers are flat, with a hole. By a process of elimination, the piece that has the set screw is what I referred to as "the machined part."
icon_smile.gif

Yes, go ahead and get Ed C. to help... even though Larrys everywhere cringe at the thought of asking for directions, help, or advice.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larrys everywhere cringe at the thought of asking for directions, help, or advice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, yes the "handy" genes did not make it to this "Larry."

One thing I did figure out though is unlike the Guru Eyelets it looks like if you screw-up the install all is not lost, you just unscrew the machined part and turn it around. The Guru has a piece that spreads out that once it's installed it would be hard to un-install.

Do you guys think that Rock forgot to put the other "machined" part in my package? The more I look at this thing the more I think I'm missing the other part in Larry's picture.

Ed C. was here yesterday and he looked at my install and he thinks I did it right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Do you guys think that Rock forgot to put the other "machined" part in my package? The more I look at this thing the more I think I'm missing the other part in Larry's picture.

Ed C. was here yesterday and he looked at my install and he thinks I did it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, looking at the length of the brass tube, I think they shorted you by two pieces.
icon_frown.gif

Ed C. was here yesterday and he looked at my install and he thinks I did it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just looked at my Stoker eyelet bag and it has exactly what you have there. I don't think your missing anything. I have Guru eyelets already, so I haven't used the Stoker ones yet.

I just got my stoker eyelets yesterday and it has the same parts as the picture you posted. I have not put them on yet, but will probally do it the next time I use the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have not put them on yet, but will probally do it the next time I use the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harvey, well based on my installation if I was you I'd send them back and get the guru eyelets. I have two of them installed and they look much better than the Stoker pieces. Another concern is they do not sit flush and you could easily bump them and poentially damage them. Also, the edge could also cut into your probe wire if it rubbed against it enough. I still think they forgot to put the second piece in my packet but haven't had the time to call them.

Yeah, it looks like they eliminated the spacer that should go on the inside (Larry D's pic) so the outside would sit flush with the collar. Guess they figure you can pack out with washers on the inside yourself or they've eliminated it in error.

Well I called the company and they said everything was included that was needed. I just installed them and agree that the spacer is missing. I just sent them pictures of what they sent me and also the install and will let you know if I hear back from them. This was a disappointment after waiting a month to receive them.

Yes please let me know. If you look at the picture on Rock's site it clearly shows another piece with the eyelet. If he's changed what he's selling he should update the picture to an accurate representation. If the picture of what I was sent was on his site I wouldn't have purchased it.

Back