1/2 Cup Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 to 1 tsp ground Cardamom seeds

Marinade
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp granulated garlic (I use 1 tsp)
1 Cup Soy Sauce
3/4 Cup Vinegar

Trim some of the outer fat. Combine cracked black pepper and ground cardamom seeds,
rub the roast and press in with hands.

Mix all the remaining ingredients and pour over roast (those 2 gal zip lock bags work real well for this part of the technique). Refrigerate and rotate the roast a couple of times, overnight is a good time for this marinade.

Smoke or roast at temps of 250 till the internal reaches 125 to 127 internal for med rare through out.You can roast at higher pit temps (350 to 450 degrees) to get a range of med well on the outer portion of the roast to a rare center.
I like to use Fruitwoods and little oak when smoking, a light smoke is great on a cut like this, you would not want to take from the great flavor of the beef just add that touch smoke.

Here is a Horseradish Sauce to go with Beef or Ham

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Horseradish to taste (fresh is best but prepared works)
2 Tbsp drained capers
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp of the liquid from capers

Mix and chill

Jim

Albert--Not sure what Jim does but I use a about a 1/2 tennis ball's worth of oak and about a ball's worth of tangerine or cherry.

I use cherry and apple mostly because that is what is avialable in my area, a couple fist size chucks but Kevin's choice would be quite tasty. I've never had tangerine, what kind of smoke can you expect?
Jim

Tangerine is sweet (I find it sweeter than other citrus), fruity, but a bit milder than apple or cherry. I'd really like to try a tangerine/cherry combo but have yet to do so.

Jim,

For this recipe, I tried a to buy Cardamon seeds at a supermarket that has a fairly extensive selection of spices and herbs - BUT I wasn't successful.

I found the following article on Cardamon, along with subsitute info...

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">cardamom = cardamon = green cardamom</span>

Substitutes: brown cardamom OR equal parts ground nutmeg and cinnamon OR equal parts ground cloves and cinnamon OR nutmeg OR cinnamon

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Notes: Cardamom figures prominently into the cuisines of India, the Middle East, North Africa, and Scandinavia. It best to buy cardamom seeds still encased in their natural flavor-protecting pods, which you discard after you remove the seeds. You can also buy cardamom without the pods, called cardamom seeds = decorticated cardamom, but the unprotected seeds lose flavor quickly. Ground cardamom seeds are even less flavorful. Recipes that call for cardamom usually intend for you to use green cardamom, named for the green pods that encase the seeds. Some producers bleach the green hulls to a pale tan, but this makes them less aromatic. Brown cardamom is a similar spice that Indians use in savory dishes. Equivalents: One pod yields 1/6 teaspoon cardamom.</span>

Global Spices

Try to find the cardamom. Supermarkets rarely have seeds. It'll say 'Ground Cardamom" on the label. Both McCormick and Spice Islands (the common supermarket brands) distribute it. (I think it's 'cardamomo' en Español if you think a Hispanic-oriented store in your area might be worth trying.)

If you can't find it, I'd suggest 1/8 tsp ground clove mixed with 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon. It is not the same, but it will give you the very warm exotic motif that cardamom has.

Albert,

I buy my cardamom from Penzeys Spices. You can visit them at penzeys.com and register for a catalog or purchase them on line. They have the whole pods as well as the ground. They are an excellent supplier. I have been using them for about 7 years. Their quarterly catalogs even have some great recipes.

By the way, I would keep the black cardamom seeds in the refrigerator (like paprika). Less chance of attracting any insects.

Ray

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">[UPDATE 3-21-05]</span>

The roast turned out great! This recipe rivals the family favorite Herb Crusted recipe.

Never made it to another grocery store to try to find cardamon seeds - so I used a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Cooked the roast at 275 instead of 350 - which yielded a nice distribution of "medium" cooked meat. I really like cooking at 275 now.

Thanks for your guidance guys!

-Albert

I need help - - In order to have roast finished at meal time - -How long will it take to cook a 12# Boneless Prime Rib
Eye at 250 degrees F. ?
Thanks a Bunch for your help

Old Arkybum

Probably ~5-6 hours depending on thickness. Of course it also depends on what your target internal is. Have the roast sit at or near room temp prior to cooking by letting it sit out on the counter for 2 hours.

Have a great holiday.

Kevin,

I have a 13 lb roast I'll be cooking at 350 in the WSM. From Chris' recipe, I'm guessing at about 23 mins per pound, or about 4.5-5 hours. Sound about right?

Yes, I believe so. It's always hard to come up with accurate times as variances between roasts in thickness, starting temps, cook temps, etc., can all affect time--but I expect you're close.

Thanks Kevin, as long as I'm in the ballpark...

If you're cruisin' up (or down) I-5, you're free to stop by tomorrow! I'm also making some yorkshire pudding...my nemesis! Can never get em' to rise up like my grandma could.

Thanks for the invite! I'm a little too far away to make it for tomorrow.
icon_smile.gif

On the YP front: Usually when people have a problem with rising or the height of the rising it's one of two things, sometimes both. Often the flour being used does not have enough protein in it. It is possible that the flour your grandmother used, while perhaps 'all-purpose', had a higher level of protein. You want a flour in the 11-12% protein range. This offers more gluten development and it is the gluten formation that traps the steam thus allowing the YPs to rise well. The other potential problem is too much egg in the mix. Too much egg will interfere with gluten formation.

Mix your ingredients well--till the batter is completely smooth and air bubbles start to form and rise to the top. It's this mixing action that starts gluten formation and the air bubbles trapped in the batter will help too.

Use room temp ingredients when you make your batter. If your recipe calls for resting the batter in the fridge, fine, but remove it early enough so that it can warm to room temp before use. This will start the steam process sooner and give you earlier lift. Irrespective of resting in the fridge or not, whisk your batter again just before pouring it in order to trap more air as it is likely that some will have been lost during resting.

Hope this helps. Have a great dinner.

Well, i'm going to make this .......... kind of. Went to the store and they wanted $11.75 for a 1 oz bottle of said cardomam seed.
icon_eek.gif
Sorry but maybe later.
icon_mad.gif
I'm thinking many, many crushed garlic cloves along with some wosty sauce. I'm going to use the base recipe except for the card seed, and just add to it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back