Memphis in May next week

Aram C

TVWBB Member
Hey, I'm going to attend this year's MIM as a spectator and was wondering if anyone here is competing. I'd love to see the inside tour of one of the stands, if you have the inkling.

Thanks!

Aram, wish I could go, but...... Have only been to Memphis once, wasn't really impressed with downtown except the historic "Duck" Hotel that we stayed in. If I ever go again it will be for the same reason you are going, MIM. You can be our official story teller. Take the lap top and give us a blow by blow description of all them pigs a cookin'

Mark

I have been to Memphis several times and love it! I am a gambler [Tunica close by] and a bbq er duhh! But I will not recomend Memphis in May to any one other than pros that are competing.. As a spectater you can not buy or sample any thing that they be bbq ing! They do not tell you that b4 hand! Lots of great bbq joints all over Memphis..I recomend Cozy corner or interstae bbq!

Dean,

You can't buy or sample usually at BBQ competitions around the country, either.

Some teams are very nice and will give some samples away at some comps if a spectator hits the right cooksite and is nice about it.

It costs us generally $500+fuel to show up to a competition. It costs a spectator about $5-10 and they can go to a BBQ joint and eat a nice meal for $10-15. Who's getting the better end of the deal?

Of course, it is nice to get in the truck on Saturday afternoon with 2 or 3 checks in your pocket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terre Hooks:
Dean,

You can't buy or sample usually at BBQ competitions around the country, either.

Some teams are very nice and will give some samples away at some comps if a spectator hits the right cooksite and is nice about it.

It costs us generally $500+fuel to show up to a competition. It costs a spectator about $5-10 and they can go to a BBQ joint and eat a nice meal for $10-15. Who's getting the better end of the deal?

Of course, it is nice to get in the truck on Saturday afternoon with 2 or 3 checks in your pocket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why the comp team, of course! You can't buy the feeling you get being amongst some of the best folk, family, around. Oh, and the hard work and lack of sleep (over rated, I know) and great cooking, not to mention the cocktails.
It cost us a lot too, but as long as I can, I will continue to associate, cook and compete with,& against my BBQ brothers and sisters.

Mark

Me too, Mark.

But that's not the point. The point is that a lot of the public is mislead to think that they are showing up to a "BBQ Festival" and it's an all-you-can-eat affair.

I honestly have no problem whatsoever doling out some samples. I've done it several times in the past. I'm not going to feed a family of 4, tho. In fact, I wouldn't mind giving some away 3 minutes after each turn-in. There's always 4-8 ribs laying around that weren't good enough to go in the box and aren't worth salvaging for take-home because they will be dried up. Same with a little bit of pulled pork and chicken.

I am close to my brisket. Come too close and you'll draw back a nub.

Back