White Sauce for Beef

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
In Birmingham,
There was a restuarant that served pork and beef, with a choice of 2 sauces. One was a honey mustardy kind of sauce. Not great. But they were known for their second sauce- -which as a white sauce. It was very peppery, and had a vinegar taste to it. Not sure what the base was though.

Anybody got a recipe that sounds like that?

Big Bob Gibson's Alabama White Sauce

1 c Mayonnaise
1 c Apple cider vinegar
1 tb Lemon juice
1 1/2 tb Pepper (black), cracked
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper (red), ground

Combine in a plastic container. Refrigerate.

Keri,

I have tried to make a copy of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce for about a year off and on. But I can't get any "heat" in it and keep the white color.

Even purchased "Pure Cap" from Heavenly Heat. Seems everything that is hot, discolors it. Any thoughts on how to add heat and keep it white?

Have you tried adding a measure of fresh-ground white pepper? I know white pepper has more heat than black. I've not tried it like that myself - I like it as is. That would help you keep the white sauce color while adding a little more "oomph", though.

I don't know if it would work or not, but I made some habanero oil once by pulverizing a couple of habs, heating the resulting mush gently in olive oil with a bit of salt, then cooling and filtering out the solids. The oil came out too hot for my taste, though. Perhaps you could create something similar to use as an addition to Big Bob Gibson's recipe using a neutral vegetable oil?

I understand that the original version of the "white sauce" was actually more yellow in color because it used eggs rather than mayo.

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Or maybe horseradish... hmmmm... fresh grated horseradish mixed in might be just the ticket for beef.

Keri,

Thanks for the response. Will try the hab oil. Not a cook, so all the xtra work makes me wonder if it is worth it. Basically lazy.

Have been told to try the horseradish before, and have not done it. Figured it will clear up my sinuses but not make beads of sweat break out on my forehead. Know the radish goes good with beef so will probably try it with brisket.

Thanks.,

Mike

Thanks. I have a good feeling that Miss Myra's in Bham is a close approximation of Big Bob Gibson's (in Decatur I believe), so that should work just fine. Thanks so much.

Keri
Would the "red" pepper be just like red pepper flakes? or is that something else. Not real familiar with the spice aisle, if you can't tell!

Now, if you checked the above URLs, there are discrepancies even on the food network. Watching the show, I recall that Mr Gibson did include mayo, horseradish, cracked pepper, cayenne, vinegar, and very little bit of lemon juice. If we watch enough we may at least get all the ingredients.

If anyone is interested, Big Bob Gibson's does market all their sauces and their rub(all that I have tried are very good). They do not make the Alabama sauce anymore and I haven't tried the Hab sauce. Here is the website:

Big Bob Gibson's

If you are ever down this way, gimme a call and we'll go eat there!!

There has been a Gibson's BBQ in Huntsville for as long as I can remember. May not even be the same Gibson family! I always assumed it was!

We ate there quite a bit when I was growing up. An employee there told my mother that they used Miracle Whip and not mayo in the white sauce.

I don't know if the info was accurate, but thats the way we've always made it. Tastes mighty good!

Jim in Alabama

I watched the show too, and i'm in agreement with Jim, that was not Helmans he was putting in the White Sauce, too runny. Bryan lives on Helmans Mayo.Definitely want to try this sauce, looks sooooo! dang good dripping off the Chicken on to the plate, just wanting to be soaked up by some biscuits or corn bread.

Back