Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Baker

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys and gals,
I'm considering getting a Performer to replace my OTG. One question......does a Weber chimney work well with the gas starter? It looks like the chimney my not fit flat on the grate? Thanks for any feedback!!

I'm not sure how well it will work, but the chimney will definitely will fit inside the inner grate.

I saw they had the performer at Home Despot for $299.

Good luck

The Weber chimney lights just fine with the gas starter. Just remove the Performer cooking grate, place the chimney on the charcoal grate, over the gas starter, and your charcoal is lit in a few minutes. Make sure to leave the kettle lid off when lighting the chimney.

Thanks Rusty. I couldn't tell by looking at the pictures on the website. I'll be picking mine up today from Ace Hardware!
icon_biggrin.gif

im coming close to pullin the trigger on a performer, just have to get rid of my genesis first....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DAVIDMICHAEL:
im coming close to pullin the trigger on a performer, just have to get rid of my genesis first.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep the Genesis and get a performer as well. Genesis for convenience during the week, performer for serious cooks on the weekend.
You won't be disappointed.

Regards

Pretty much been using the Weber chimney direct over the charcoal grate/lighter from day one. Works great.

I actually flipped the "grate" in my Chimney and use it over the gas ignition on my performer.

Since I don't have to fit newspaper/etc under the chimney... reversing the bottom cone shaped grate gets the charcoal closer to the gas igniter flame.

I don't know if it makes a big difference..... but it works for me!

Thanks everyone. I picked up my black performer last night and put it together in about 45 minutes or so. Looks great....test run tomorrow. My only complaint was there was no free cover like came with the WSM. I called and joked around with Melissa at Weber.....but to no avail. Had to pay for one......
icon_frown.gif

Wow!! Say goodbye to the OTG! The Performer is great. Gas light worked great....no more starter cubes! I really enjoyed the work table..no more using the deck railing as a work table!! Looks like my brother will inherit a well used (and cared for) OTG! Thanks again for everyone's input.

I just got my Performer the other day. My wife decided she really liked the charcoal broiled foods, and wanted me to get another charcoal grill (I had used my old One-Touch for about 15 years, and gave it away before I moved.) I had been just using gas, but no more. I purchased an adaptor hose to allow me to connect a regular 20lb LP tank to the Performer. Worked like a charm. I will make a holder that affixes to the grill cart somehow, and let 'er rip. I just used the coal bins that came with my Performer, and my coals were lit in about 3 minutes, ready to cook in about 15. I didn't think I even needed my chimney, and have left that to my smoker.

August, before you do much making a carrier for the 20 pound tank, try a disposible. Since you only use it for 3 minutes, it lasts an awfully long time. I started using my Performer with a disposible - and with a 20 pound tank with adapter hose next to it. I've never hooked up the big tank - just no need.

I love my performer - I know you will love yours too.

I agree with Rich. I spent some time getting hookups for the big 20# tank, and I've never used it. The disposables are so much more convenient, and they do last a long time.

I don't like even infrequent trips to the store to buy such things, so I have three disposables and a refill valve. When they are empty, I use the 20# tank to fill them up. It works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back