Cherry Rib Glaze... with PIE FILLING ????

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Hi, all,

I recently found this recipe in "Mr Mad's" Recipe Emporium in the BBQ and Grilling collection, as "Cherry Good Ribs". (at http://www.madsrecipes.com/index2.htm , if you've never seen the Emporium - thousands of recipes for Mastercook users.) It appears that the recipe originally came from the Cherry Marketing Institute, at http://www.cherrymkt.org/recipes/recipeofmonth/august02.html.

The original recipe called for simmering 8 lb of spareribs, so we'll just ignore that preparation part. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif The cherry glaze itself, though, sounds intriguing. Has anyone ever tried something along these lines? I've seen reference to cherry ribs using a powder made from dried cherries, but never have I seen one using a canned pie filling. I'm thinking of trying it on a single slab next time I do ribs, just as a fun taste test. Sounds like it needs a little more heat than just the ginger, to me, but that's just my taste... I'll try it as is before fooling around with it too much.

1 can cherry pie filling - (21 oz)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Pur?e cherry pie filling in an electric blender or food processor. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion; cook, stirring, until onion is tender. Add pie filling, soy sauce, mustard, ginger and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reserve some sauce to serve with ribs. Use as a glaze for ribs in the last 20 to 25 minutes of cooking ribs. [Use caution in temperatures, remembering that the sugar content will easily burn. kc]

This recipe yields 8 servings.

Comments: This is a tasty departure from tomato-based barbecue sauces.

Source:
"Culinary Caf? at http://www.culinarycafe.com"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"04-12-2002 by Joe Comiskey - jcomiskey@krypto.net"

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cherry Rib Glaze... with PIE FILLING ???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not a totally far out concept. You might want to try a search on "Mary's Cherry Rub", and Kevin Taylor here is a big fan of using a cherry yogurt based rub.

What a great sounding recipe! I bet it would be good on the ham I'm smoking this weekend.. I am going to try it.. Thanks Keri..

By the way I really enjoyed the site you got it from..."Mr Mad's" Recipe Emporium".. How does that site work?? Do you just download the recipes you want? Are they free?? Cool site /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Let me know how the cherry works out - I thought it sounded very interesting.

Yes, all the recipes on Mr Mad's site are free. They are grouped into Mastercook-compatible groups of 100 recipes each, in categories by chef/type of food/ etc. Examples: Mario Batali, Emeril Lagasse, Diabetic Recipes, BBQ and Grilling, Canning, and many more categories. You download each file of 100 recipes, one at a time, and import them into your Mastercook database. If you don't have Mastercook, each file is an individual text file that can be read with any word processor. He adds several new files each month, and is currently working on Lo Carb and Breakfast & Brunch collections, I think. I've been a faithful fan of his for several years now.

Keri C

Good Morning All!!!

Well another grey day in South Georgia... We have really had the rain in the South East... There are 30 to 40 roads washed out on my county.... And I understand some States have had it as bad if not worse than Georgia... I now understand the term "When it rains it pours" literally ... Lol...

The weekend is almost here ... I'm smoking a ham... (my first) and looking forward to it ... However I think it's going to rain the whole weekend... I'll need an umbrella ...LOL...

I took the ham out of the freezer yesterday and put it in the refrigerator... I hope it's ready to trim and rub tomorrow... I plan on smoking it and using the cherry glaze on it.. MMmmmm ... Sounds delicious ...

I will follow Chris's directions on smoking the ham... His pictures with the checkered cuts looked delicious...

I will take a picture of the finished product and give a report on the results ...

Question .. How do you post a pictures here??? I never tried posting one mainly because I never had one worth showing... LOL ... Hopefully my ham will be the first...

Cheers!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Harvey:
[qb]Question .. How do you post a pictures here???[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The picture you want to show must exist on a Web server somewhere. Your Internet Server Provider may provide some free space for you to do this as part of your monthly fee, or you can use free online services like MSN Photos or Shutterfly.

Once your pictures are online, you link to them by clicking the "image" button in the series of buttons right below the "Add Reply" button.

Regards,
Chris

Well I tried the Cherry Glaze and it is wonderful ?!!! I made a couple of changes in the recipe, one by mistake and one due to not having the called for ingredients ? However it stilled turned out absolutely marvelous?. The main thing that I did not do was puree the cherry filling ? I had never seen cherry filling and did not realize it had whole cherries in it until I had pored it in the frying pan with the cooked onions. I had to mash each cherry with a fork and of course they were not as liquid as called for? However they were fine and I don?t know if it mattered at all? I also used regular mustard .?

I glazed my smoked ham and I also glazed several chicken breast ? They looked and taste great? Every body carried on about how good they were? I put the extra glaze on the table and it was all eaten? I took a picture of the ham and will try to post it here?

Thanks for the recipe it was great? I will definitely use it again many time and highly recommend it for ribs, ham, chicken and most any pork dish? Wonderful ?

Thanks!!!

Hey, Bugg, thanks for reporting back on the cherry glaze. I'm glad it turned out well. I think I'll mix up a batch for my next ribs. You've inspired me!

Thanks again -

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri ...

How did you like the cherry glaze? My curiosity is killing me.. Lol..

Cheers!!!

I tried the cherry rib glaze on a butt end ready to cook ham.

I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed in it. I think I got some bland cherry pie filling because it didn't have much cherry taste to it. I was expecting a little sweet to almost tart taste.

I was also disappointed with the ham I got. Just the meat inside (without any glaze) was somewhat bland and tasteless. Of course, I grabbed all of the ingredients from a local King's Super grocery store late last night.

There were some excellent potential tastes. The onion, soy, ginger worked well. But in the end the bland cherries just didn't work. I might try it again as an experimental glaze over a few ribs and see if I can't figure out what went wrong.

Back