gas go-anywhere

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
got a new to me gas go-anywhere off of craigslist saturday. it has newish wood handles and rust from the stuff that normally does rust. will replace that hardware with ss. other stuff will be cleaned and oiled. cooking grate is just fine as is the baffle. burner tube is near perfect. also came with a hose so it can be used with a tank. i'm rather excited about this as i have been looking for one for quite a bit. all this for $15, all is good.

George - if its got wooden handles, that dates it at quite a few years old - the newer ones have the plastic handles. I bought a Go Anywhere charcoal grill once for $10 just to get the three wooden handles!

Good score.

Pat

looking closely at the wooden handles one can see that it looks like they used a reddish brown stain. any thoughts on this ?

why does weber insist on putting quality parts in/on their grills and then get super cheap on the hardware that rusts and makes a mess of things ? weber, put ss hardware in/on and charge a couple bucks more, jeez !

well, just about got everything cleaned up. lookin close to brand new now. still kinda hesitant on dealing with the wood handles. several things to point out. one is that the pushbutton starter is in two pieces. where they go together the metal can/does corrode. suggest cleaning this, by scrapping things clean and then putting a dab of dielectric grease at the contact point. also there is a small copper strip that should be cleaned and have a dab put there also. another design flaw? to me is that there are no "feet" on the bottom so the whole bottom can be damaged through use. luckily mine only has a minimum of scratches.

pics

mod with sxreen in tube to prevent crawlies from getting in.
disability035.jpg

disability036.jpg

baffle to prevent blow outs in a breeze
disability037.jpg

disability038.jpg

disability039.jpg

pics of the whole unit. its cleaner than it looks. wood handles are in the process of getting rehabed
disability040.jpg

disability041.jpg

fired it up today for a test burn. less than 10 min it got above 400 deg so i think its a winner ! will do my first cook after i get the wood handles done.

was just looking at the manual. it doesn't state anything about which way to install the flavorizer but it does mention looking through a hole to make sure its lit. there is only one smal rectangular hole so i'm gonna assume it needs to be facing the "front". also realized that the "before 2000" onee did not come with the leg locks. was gonna make some but i think i'll let that go unless something happens.

Looks like you have done an excellent job refurbishing it! Definitely make a leg lock, or order one from Weber, since it adds stability while grilling. You would be surprised how quickly the legs can "roll" out from one end of the grill without it.

finished putting "feet" on the gga. seems a shortcoming to me as the bottom gets all scratched and dinged. glued on some 1/2 pushnuts. will see how this goes.

disability042.jpg

disability043.jpg

Hello George, I my self have owed 4 of the go anywhere grill two gas ....two charcoal.....But the older one's ..Way older one's .....back then they use to use lave rock's in the gasser's and they where GREAT GRILL'S ...

Back