Hard Rock watermelon sauce

Jack Straw

TVWBB Fan
About ten or so years ago I had ribs at the Hard Rock and was pleasantly surprised at their sauce. As I recall I even bought a bottle "to go", it was that good. Well there was no internet back then to search for a clone and I eventually forgot about it, until now. Now I haven't tried this yet, but was wondering if anyone has and has any tweaks. It looks about right I think. I'll give it a go this weekend and report back.

Ingredients
watermelon rind from about 1/2 of small watermelon
1 cup (225 ml) dark corn syrup
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato ketchup
1/4 cup (60 ml) distilled vinegar
3/4 tsp (4 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp (2 ml) liquid smpke
1/4 tsp (1 ml) black pepper
4 lbs (1.8 kg). baby back ribs
Preparation
For the pureed watermelon rind, you want to cut off the green skin and about 1/2 an inch of the hard white part.
This is the tender part of the rind.
Try to stay away from the harder white rind just inside the green skin.
Put the rind into a food processor and puree for only about 10 seconds.
Strain the liquid from the pulp and use one cup of pulp, measured after straining.
Combine watermelon pulp with the remaining ingredients for the sauce in a medium saucepan over high heat.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour, or until as thick as you like.

Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur

I have not had it before. Personally, even though it's cooked, I'd switch the distilled to a less harsh vinegar like white wine or rice and add smoke flavor differently, replacing the Liquid Smoke (not a fan), but let us know if you make it and what you think.

wow... watermelon ribs. I forgot about those. I got them once at the hard rock at the beverly center in LA.

Kevin - you mentioned getting smoke flavor in there through other means than liquid smoke...

what if you just left out the liquid smoke altogether? Since the ribs are smoked, unlike at hardrock, would you notice the lack of "smoke" in the sauce?

Jack - interesting that the red part of the watermelon isn't used. I wonder why... too sweet?

I've got to believe you use the "red part", that's how I'm going to try it anyway. Smoke will be provided via. a chunk of hickory and a chunk of apple, you know that old fashioned WSM method! One thing I'm unsure of though, are watermelon in season??!!

adamclyde--

You absolutely could leave out the L/S. You'll notice the lack of smoke when tasting the sauce alone of course, but that's not a big deal. I really like to tie the sauce I'm making to the meat I'm cooking so, for ribs (I do spares), I rub and smoke the trimmings--which includes 1-2 of the smallest end ribs--and pull them when they're done. I put at least the end ribs (with their still-attached meat) in the sauce pot during its simmer stage to add bone, meat, smoke, and caramelized rub flavors.

(Sometimes I add the other trimmings, if any, if I'm making a larger quantity of sauce. Usually I just eat them.)

adamclyde/Jack--

The red part of watermelon cooks down to not a whole lot--it's mostly water. You can use it if you wish. I'd probably prep the rind as instructed in the recipe leaving on a bit of the fruit, a 1/4-inch say.

Watermelons are in season in many places now, and are being shipped all over.

OK, tried this out this weekend and it was quite good. I sub'd rice vinegar for distilled (I think cider may have been better) and added some of the juice (after reducing) to get more melon flavor. I'll make it again for sure.

Jack--

Saw your results report and had hoped to make this--I had all the ingredients except the corn syrup (I'd planned to make a simple syrup or gastrique of Muscovado and water or vinegar instead) but time got away from me.

I'd thought of using pineapple vinegar. Was the issue with the rice its lower acidity or that it lacks fruitiness, or both?

I thought if it was acidity I could replace some pineapple with appleor, perhaps better, add some lime juice when it comes off the stove.

Hi Kevin, Sorry for the delay. Yes it was an acidity issue for me, could have used a little more of that bite. Lime juice could be really good! Let us know if you make up a batch.

Back