Ashcroft Thermometer

Shane Atwood

TVWBB Member
I purchased an Ashcroft 3" thermometer last year that I want to mount on my WSM. I am having trouble finding a nut with the pipe thread that I need that isn't galvanized. I heard that you shouldn't use a galvanized nut inside the smoker. Is that correct? I would rather not, can anyone point me to where I can find a steel or stainless nut with pipe threads? I have been thru Ace and Home depot with no luck.
Thanks
Shane

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shane Atwood:
I purchased an Ashcroft 3" thermometer last year that I want to mount on my WSM. I am having trouble finding a nut with the pipe thread that I need that isn't galvanized. I heard that you shouldn't use a galvanized nut inside the smoker. Is that correct? I would rather not, can anyone point me to where I can find a steel or stainless nut with pipe threads? I have been thru Ace and Home depot with no luck.
Thanks
Shane </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well that's odd, about only fiding a galv nut. I use an Ashcroft 6" and just love it. You got yourself a great thermo there Bud. It's been awhile since I installed mine, 5 years ago, but IIRC, I used a brass nut. That said the galvanized nut is fine to use for your thermo. It really is, trust me.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the advise. I ended up going with a pipe thread brass reducer that I found. It was a clearance item so I figured it was worth the $1 I paid for it. Now to see how the Ashcroft works this weekend!

SA

Guys I almost forgot. Where did you put your thermo? in the lid or right below the top rack? I am leaning toward under the rack......

Thanks for the info. I mounted my Thermo under the top rack. It is sweet. I can see it from a mile away. I am putting it to use this morning with some ribs.

I bought an Ashcroft on clearance a couple of weeks ago from Grainger. I am replaceing one I installed a while back which is inaccurate. This is 3", can be calibrated, and has a 4" stem. I will mount in lid like my old one but this has a larger diameter. I had a hard time finding any kind of nut that works on it. I finally settled for one but it is kind of loose. Any ideal where one might find a nut for this thing? I tried all the standard and metric nuts at Ace.

It is a pipe thread. I picked up a brass reducer and a stainless steel washer and it was a good tight fit. All this stuff was over in the plumbing section at Ace.

Back