First cook on copper Smokey Joe Gold

Jake S

TVWBB Fan
I grabbed a new in box, copper colored SJG from craigslist this week. Having lurked on tvwbb for a while, my plan was to add the bottom vent from a SJS and use it for a firebox on my ECB. Last night my girlfriend had to work late, so I decided to give the unmodified baby grill a run.

Since I was worried about airflow (and too lazy and hungry to defrost some good meat), I picked up some cheap steak tips on the way home, just in case I couldn't get a good fire on the wee grill. I cut them up and left them to marinate while I built the fire. I also drizzled a banana in honey and rolled it in sugar for a side.

I had read some of the fire building tips in this thread, so I tried a fire between the two grates. I put some Kingsford in the bowl to measure the quantity, then poured it into my chimney. I ended up adding a few more briquettes because it seemed like so little charcoal in the chimney, probably about 1/3 full. I used my Performer to torch the chimney, and it was ready pretty fast. I was working in the dark, so if you check the pictures you can see that I should have let the chimney go a couple more minutes before dumping.

I banked the coals on the near side of the grill, opposite the handle/lid holder, added the cooking grate, and set both side vents wide open. Since I had dumped the charcoal prematurely, I let it burn uncovered for a few minutes. This helped, but it didn't get the fire roaring like an open burn on a 22.5" kettle would.

At this point, I just couldn't wait anymore. I put my banana on the indirect side, and added the skewers of tips to the near side to sear. Opened the top vent and aligned it on the indirect side. (If I use the SJG again before modifying, I'll try it over the direct side for comparison) I dangled the thermometer from my performer through the lid vent to get a rough idea what was going on inside. Temperature shot up to about 425 and stayed there, keeping me happy.

After about 90 seconds, I flipped the tips to sear the other side. After covering the grill again, I couldn't get the thermometer to read above 350. This could be because I didn't plan in advance and thus didn't bring a cork or anything to help me position the thermometer, or it could be because I built a crappy fire.

90 more seconds, and I moved the tips to the indirect side and slid the bananas a little closer to the coals to crisp. Cooked the tips over indirect heat for about 5 minutes per side, then shut down all the vents to try to smother the coals.

The tips were good, but not great. The sear wasn't as intense as I could have gotten on my performer, and the meat wasn't as done as I expected given the time on the indirect side. (I like it hovering right on the line between rare/medium rare, and these were a perfect rare.)

Bottom line: Decent little grill, but I didn't have the temperature control I'm used to with a full-sized kettle. Based on what I've read, I pretty much expected the fire to go out as soon as I covered it, and that didn't happen, putting me ahead of expectations. I'll still add the bottom vent, but I don't feel like the grill is unusable without it. Among other things, I'll try using it in the daytime so I can judge the state of my coals better before I dump the chimney.

Pictures of my trial run.

Jake,

I wouldn't drill it as it's an unusual color to be able to get here in the US. Copper finish Webers aren't uncommon overseas but we aren't lucky enough to see them stateside very often. I have a SJG in copper finish new in box also. I picked mine up for $20, after someone posted a tip on this forum about 3 years ago, when Linens & Things had a closeout sale on them.

A Smokey Joe Silver should work great for you for a firebox for your ECB. They retail for $25-30 new and really don't need any mods. If you are willing to wait till late in the season, most places clear them out for about what you paid for your copper SJG.

Hope this helps.
Scott

I'm no collector, and if they sold them at Linens and Things they must be too common to be collectible, but I guess I can keep myself from drilling it.

I'm not sure about using a silver for the ECB. My thought was to add the bottom vent to the gold, in case ash build up on a long smoke blocks the bottom vent, I can always use the sides. Or a combination.

Maybe I'll end up with one of each... the gold for the ECB and a silver to grill on (as the side vents above the charcoal grate leave a lot to be desired when going for a high heat cook).

They may very well be collectible. It would not surprise me if that was the case.

As far as I know, LnT only sold those copper ones for a season. I have never seen them sold elsewhere since. Like you, I'm not a collector. I picked up mine just because it was unusual and I liked the finish.

A similar situation is that Crate and Barrel sell and have sold two unique colored Performers. A few years back they had a Performer in a pretty cool gray. Now they offer in a lime or avocado green.

I agree 100% with you on the side vents inhibiting a good high heat cook. I think the idea behind that was portability over performance. It won't dump ash all over your trunk and it does a reasonable job cooking.

I fought ECB wars for many years and have done about every mod known. I recently discovered the SJS for the firebox trick from a fellow on this forum. That was one trick I had never thought of so I had to give it a try. It works well. About the best I could ever get for a maintenance free fire with the ECB charcoal pan mods was maybe 4-5 hours tops. Tried it recently with a SJS mounded over with lump and I got a solid 7 hours without doing more than adding some wood chunks after 4 hours. I had no issues with excessive ash buildup but would like to check out another cook with briquettes and see how that goes.

Well, I got out the SJG again last night, girlfriend was gone, no need to fire up the performer. Only the second time so far. The menu this time was top sirloin, naan (Indian flat bread), and bananas.

With about 1/3 to 1/2 chimney of kingsford competition between the vents, the temperature stayed pretty manageable. Got a nice sear on the steaks, let them cook on the indirect side, and after I pulled them I still had steady 350* to cook the naan. Not sure what might have been different this time, except it was fairly windy out. Maybe that helped stoke the fire.

Jake, thanks for the update. And that is a gorgeous copper Joey!
icon_biggrin.gif

I've been using my Joe Gold quite a bit lately and am finding the combination of a quick direct sear with the lid off, followed by a longer indirect roast with the lid on (all vents open) gives me very favourable results. I've done pork and chicken quarters this way and they all come out very well.

That said, I still believe that if Weber had designed a Smokey Joe with a bottom vent + enclosed ash can + carrying handle, it would have been the best small grill design in the world, bar none.

I wish I had a performer in that color. That and the red kettles...have to be my favorites all time. I have a green kettle. I love her to death...but she's really boring to look at. LOL

Back