Need some dumb advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay Jackson

TVWBB Super Fan
I just used my new Weber one touch gold 22.5 for the first time last night. I was grilling ribeyes about 1.25-1.5 inches thick. I fired up my weber chimney and dumped the coals when lit on top...a little ashy. I moved the coals to one side leaving one area area for indirect if needed. Here is the problem. The steaks had more of a baked sensation to them. I did not get that charcoal taste to them at all. I have been using a gasser lately and am going back to charcoal for some foods. I remember from cooking on charcoal in the past of having the fat drip down some good hotspots on the meat, a lot of that good smokey semll like you can tell your neighbor is cooking steaks and you wish you were there. Should I have used one lit chimney and then dumped anther unlit? I am guessing the steaks were to far from the coals. I had the top and bottom vents wide open the whole cook and it was about fifty degrees outside.

Clay

WSM
Weber one touch gold-in blue

I think you're guessing right but I think you were short on lit. I'll add to the lit I dump and wait till all is lit well (or use two chimneys) so that I can get the pile closer to the grate for the searing phase. (I mostly use lump for steaks.) I usually rub with evoo first as well (before applying whatever rub I've made) as that, to me, adds to the searing effect and resulting flavor.

Clay,

I don't think you need more charcoal. What I've been doing lately for direct grilling is leaving my lid off until the fire gets super-hot. I usually start cooking without a lid and it is great for searing and grilled flavor. I may put the lid on to control flare-ups or to finish things with indirect heat.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff... What I've been doing lately for direct grilling is leaving my lid off until the fire gets super-hot. I usually start cooking without a lid ...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think I've read in some of Weber's material that they suggest the lid off for a short time to help with the searing. With ribeyes, however, I can you you from experience, don't run back in the house for something while they're searing with the lid off - you'll get a lot of flare-up and a lot more of that "charred flavor" than you want. If I can find a better way to sear than at 600 degrees plus on my Silver B with PCI grates, I'll try it - but, I haven't yet.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Clay,

Here is the set up I use now for steaks. I insert the BBQ Baffle and load up that side with charcoal or lump, so it's just beneath the grate, then I sear the steaks and move them to the other side and finish indirect.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/542231790/1542232788058058643Cnwnbb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's your problem. You need coals on both sides of the BBQ Baffle for grilling. One side piled high for searing, the other with scattered lit coals for finishing. To get the taste you want you need the fat to drip onto hot coals which than voporize the fat droplets and return them to the "atmosphere" inside the closed grill. Right now you're searing the steaks for a short time over coals and then baking them for the rest of the cook.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Clay,

Here is the set up I use now for steaks. I insert the BBQ Baffle and load up that side with charcoal or lump, so it's just beneath the grate, then I sear the steaks and move them to the other side and finish indirect.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/542231790/1542232788058058643Cnwnbb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's your problem. You need coals on both sides of the BBQ Baffle for grilling. One side piled high for searing, the other with scattered lit coals for finishing. To get the taste you want you need the fat to drip onto hot coals which than voporize the fat droplets and return them to the "atmosphere" inside the closed grill. Right now you're searing the steaks for a short time over coals and then baking them for the rest of the cook.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce wasn't the one having the problem.

Thanks for all of your help. I felt really dumb not getting the results I wanted. It had been awhile since I used charcoal instead of my gasser/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Finney:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
Clay,

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce wasn't the one having the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops.

Bruce,

How do you like that BBQ Baffle? It looks like it may be a fun toy. The price doesn't see too bad, but gets a little high when you add the 12 bucks for shipping.

Bill

Bill,

Check the BBQ Section, about the third thread down BBQ BAffle, I did a review there recently and added some pics.

Quick answer, I like it. Will help in using your kettle as a smoker plus other uses. Go ahead get one.

I always toss a chunk of wood (pecan) in with my Kingsford when I make steaks. Seems to give a more unique flavor.

I've started using the Weber charcoal baskets for most of my cooks on the kettle. For steaks, I usually light 3/4 chimney of lump and split it between the two baskets which are placed about 2-3 inches apart in the center of the kettle. Once seared, I'll flip up my hinged grill flaps and pull each basket back towards the outer edge of the kettle leaving the steaks in the center. That way I still have direct heat around the edges of the kettle and a hot indirect heat in the center. Works pretty well for me. I wasn't sure if I would like the baskets when I first got them, but now I do. Mainly because it takes a lot less lump/charcoal to get the heat up close to the grate. Less mess to clean up too. JMO

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
I've started using the Weber charcoal baskets for most of my cooks on the kettle. For steaks, I usually light 3/4 chimney of lump and split it between the two baskets which are placed about 2-3 inches apart in the center of the kettle. Once seared, I'll flip up my hinged grill flaps and pull each basket back towards the outer edge of the kettle leaving the steaks in the center. That way I still have direct heat around the edges of the kettle and a hot indirect heat in the center. Works pretty well for me. I wasn't sure if I would like the baskets when I first got them, but now I do. Mainly because it takes a lot less lump/charcoal to get the heat up close to the grate. Less mess to clean up too. JMO

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is exactly what I do Rick. It's so simple and works like a charm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Finney:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is exactly what I do Rick. It's so simple and works like a charm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to have to get a set of baskets! I have those cheap metal brackets that pry in the grate on the sides, and they hold the fuel. You can't move them around like the baskets.

I do steaks with the Weber Charcoal Rails (are these discontinued?) in place. I dump a full chimney in the middle (between the rails), even it out (about two briquettes high) and add some wood chips. Give it about 15 minutes with tthe grate on, lid closed. Open, clean and oil the grate, add steaks. I usually don't have to move then steaks, but if I have a particularly fatty one that flares up, I have the space behind the rails.

With lump, due to the size variations, I'll dump one unlit chimney over a lit chimney and proceed the same way.

As far as the baskets, you can either get the regular type basket or order the replacements baskets for the Performer. The Performer baskets are made of tubular steel and are more substantial and probably have a better flow of air. Of course, they costs more and may or may not be worth the difference in price. I'm assuming Performer still has that type basket - mine is about 10 years old - the first "touch and go".

The method of searing described in the posts above, is the one Weber suggested on the material that came with their searing grate - when they made it.

Paul

First ya pile dem brikets (any cheap store brand) in da kettle, soak 'em wid liter flued or gas-o-leen, lit a match and medeeatly trow da stakes right on the midle o' doz flames, dat'll get a gud sear on 'em to keep all duh juices in. Emember to stan back whilst yar throwen dem ribeyes, don't want da flames ta burn yer hans. If'n ya mis, well da dog wuz probly hungree two. Wen thar blak, der dun.

Thars sum dumm adviz fer ya.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Or ya cud lizzen to da gud adviz afor dis.

Well 'e did ask fer dumm adviz.

Just joking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back