Remote Thermometers - Dual Probes

Bill E.

TVWBB Fan
Since I got WSM realized I need another remote thermoter to check multiple meats as well as cooker air temp.

What about those dual probe ones? Any cons against them? Seem a little cheaper than two remotes.

Also, I saw a video of someone who had digital temp reader hanging from WSM. My first thought was that it could melt.

Any brands to stay away from?

Do a search on the Maverick ET-73 and you will find a lot of posts. I bought one several years ago and am generally satisfied with it. The major drawback is the limited range of the signal. But, my usual place where I hang out as well as my bedroom (for all night cooks) are well within range so there is no problem. I did have the back of one other single probe type melt when I used the magnet to stick it to the smoker (dumb!).
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What about those dual probe ones? Any cons against them? Seem a little cheaper than two remotes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried a few different ones (polder, trutemp, redicheck) and about the only one still working is the redicheck (maverick). I dove head long into the polder dual temp innovation. I had one digital readout with dual probe and order two more probes so I could read internal/ambient for three different meats. Unfortunately all the probes eventually failed. I think I discovered the problem when I was calibrating them in boiling water, one probe submerged itself and the temp slowly increase until it hit its max. The dual probe isnt sealed at the point where the cable comes into it and is susceptible to water/dripping getting into it and screwing with its ability to measure the temp. I've tried drying them in the oven and they can be fixed, but they just arent reliable enough to invest in.

if you are looking to monitor your pit temp and like to keep your temps below 300*, I recommend this product:

pit therm

the only draw back is they stop reading over 300* but they work great with some pass-throughs I made for the wsm's bolt holes (one at each cooking great level).

My Mav-Redicheck is still kicking. Sure the wireless distance on it is crap. I have to use a screw driver to get the on/off switches to click anymore. It's hit the ground more than once falling from the top lip. The probes have been submerged in water (not my fault that time). It's a little over 1 year old. I'd buy another for $40 if it quit tomorrow.
Todd

Back