Noodles for Stir Fry?

Mac

TVWBB Guru
I used my Weber Wok last night for the first time. I did a Shrimp Stir Fry. It turned out really good. The one factor that was lacking were the Noodles. I'm looking for an Asian style noodle. I went to an Asian Super Market here in town to look, and to be honest, I was overwhelmed by the choices. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I have had the best luck using Top Ramen noodles in stir frys. Its probably cheating but the noodles hold up well and everybody likes Top Ramen.

I've used several types of noodles. You can use rice (rice stick) noodles, lo mein noodles or even angel hair pasta.

Paul

Thanks for help. Gonna try some new stuff next time.
Originally posted by John Solak:
I have had the best luck using Top Ramen noodles in stir frys. Its probably cheating but the noodles hold up well and everybody likes Top Ramen.
That's what I used last night. They tasted great but they pretty much stayed clumped together. Maybe I'll try to loosen them up before the finish on the Wok.

Wheat noodles are typical but, as Paul notes, you can also use rice noodles. If you have an Asian market nearby that sells fresh wheat noodles so much the better - or make them yourself. If not, dried work fine and, also as Paul notes, you can use Italian wheat noodles, like angel hair, fettuccine, linguine, et al.

These are a lot better than Ramen, although I'm not above using it:

sun luck chuka soba
07613205015l.jpg

Sun Luck Tomoshiraga Somen Japanese style noodles
41TcGFV7iZL._SL500_SS120_.jpg

I like the panda express sauces, I have a bunch more but haven't found any I like better yet (hint hint). I like to throw in a small handful of the crispy chow mein noodles too, I'll even throw them into my green salads.

Thanks Clint. I'll look for these and give them a try. The store I was referring to has one isle about 75' long that's just noodles
icon_eek.gif
from all over the world. I'll take a picture to post when I go. It's amazing.

Mac, I feel your pain.

The good news is that all food sold in the US must have English ingredients listed. You'll see a huge diversity of noodle shapes but really only a few kinds. Asian noodles will all be either rice, wheat or wheat and egg. A couple of notable exceptions are soba ( buckwheat) and Korean glass noodles (sweet potato starch).

Most recipes will specify the type of noodle, and google image search might help with figuring out shape.

I haven't had much luck sourcing ramen. It's a wheat noodle with alkali added. I've found it once, but it's a rare find. I've resorted to using top ramen for my ramen dishes.

You can make ramen yourself. If you have a good Asian market nearby, or the next time you go to NYC, buy kansui in powder or liquid form (I like the latter). You'll usually find the Koon Chun brand - clear bottle - and it will be labeled potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate.

Back