Molasses Glazed Pork Roast with Black Pepper Dumplings

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Brian L. in the Recipe Requests Forum on 9/23/2004

---------------
This isn't BBQ but it is a killer recipe. After making the dumpling add cornstarch to the broth to thicken up and use as gravy on the pork loin, dumpling, and the side of mash taters I make with it. I like to garnish with fresh chopped parsley and pairs well with a decent bottle of white wine. It's always a huge hit around my house! I know it's from Booby Flay, he may not know BBQ but the man does know how to cook!

Molasses Glazed Pork Roast with Black Pepper Dumplings
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
Show: Hot Off the Grill with Bobby Flay
Episode: Molasses-Glazed Pork

Recipe Summary
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 (3 to 4 pound) pork loin roast, bone in
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Molasses Glaze, recipe follows
1 Spanish onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
6 cups chicken stock
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 sprigs parsley
Black Pepper Dumplings, recipe follows
Chopped parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper and sear on all sides until golden brown. Transfer the pot to the oven and roast until the pork reaches an internal temperature, about 1 hour. Brush the pork liberally with the Molasses Glaze and continue roasting until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Remove the roast to a platter, brush with more of the glaze and let rest 15 minutes.
Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan and place on top of the stove over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat to high, and cook until reduced by half. Add the stock and the herbs, and bring to a boil, cook until reduced by 1/3. Reduce the heat to low and let the broth simmer.

Drop the dumplings into the broth, cover, and simmer until they are puffed and cooked through, about 12 to 5 minutes.

Molasses Glaze:
1 1/2 cups molasses
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Salt

Combine ingredients in a small bowl.

Black Pepper Dumplings:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons very cold solid vegetable shortening
1/3 cup milk

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, parsley, and thyme in a medium mixing bowl. Using your fingers, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the milk, stirring just until the mixture is moistened. Gather the dough into a ball, knead it a few times, and cut into 12 equal pieces.

Back