dont know what to buy

chalon page

I need some advice, should I buy the original wsm or the newer version. I dont think I need to get the 22"wsm. I do want the smaller version. Why does the older version cost more on amazon? Is it better? Or is it just on sale? Help!!!!

i'd really get the 22.there will always be something that wont fit well on the 18. large brisket, giant chuck roll, ribs or a lot of pork butt.the extra $ only hurts once but you'll have all that space forever.

As far as new or old 18.5" model, I'd buy whichever one I could get a better deal on. Differences are not really that big of a deal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim C:
i'd really get the 22.there will always be something that wont fit well on the 18. large brisket, giant chuck roll, ribs or a lot of pork butt.the extra $ only hurts once but you'll have all that space forever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Won't it take more charcoal each time you cook? But I suppose it depends on how many you plan to cook for. I really like my 18 1/2 WSM and I'm surprised by how much it holds. But mostly I'm cooking for two and we can only eat so much. (I've recently converted my Smokey Joe to a smoker so I can do smaller batches to try out different smoking woods.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
As far as new or old 18.5" model, I'd buy whichever one I could get a better deal on. Differences are not really that big of a deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm inclined to agree. My local Ace Hardware offered me their floor model (the last one they had) for $250 when the new model was $300. In addition to being last years model (no thermometer) it had some big chips in the rim of the bottom bowl. I went with a new one from another Ace.

Good luck with your choice!

-walt

Tim has some good points there, as I also contemplated which size to buy... I did decide on the 18" only because I'm cheap.

Chalon, flip a coin, and buy one NOW!
...and don't forget to
ENJOY
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WalterWhite:
SNIP
(I've recently converted my Smokey Joe to a smoker so I can do smaller batches to try out different smoking woods.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walt, have photos or a modification write-up? Sounds intriguing!

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WalterWhite:
SNIP
(I've recently converted my Smokey Joe to a smoker so I can do smaller batches to try out different smoking woods.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walt, have photos or a modification write-up? Sounds intriguing!

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi D. L.
There is a thread (with pictures) under Weber Portable Grills: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0039023/m/5870049575

thanks,
walt

I personally like the new mods on the 2009 WSM. And I think you can get the newer version for $239 @ Amazon. I believe I saw the orginal for $299. Just link up from this web site to Amazon to purcahse and I really like the 18 for my family of 5. Good luck and smoke on.

I'll start of saying that I think the WSM 22.5" is the most awsome bullet smoker ever manufactured. They are just the bomb when it comes to volume or even competition cooking.

That said I do think the WSM 18.5 is a better fit when the extra space is not a neccasity. I do not own a WSM 22.5...YET, lol. But I do own a Pro Q Excell 20 and I can tell that by comparrison between these 2 that while both are quality smokers, for my needs generaly speaking the WSM suites me better due to the fact that it takes longer for the larger Pro Q to come up to heat and the vent adjustments are quicker to respond on the WSM because of it's smaller size. Also I notice that the WSM is more efficient with charcoal, it uses less because it takes it less time to adjust and come up to heat. Now maintaining heat once they are both there, I'm not sure if ther is a difference.

Another example is I have a Weber SJP (jumbo Joe) and I have fitted a Pro Q WSM stacker to it and I can convert it from a grill to a sweet little smoker in a matter of minutes, and it comes up to heat and is faster to react to vent changes than my 18.5 WSM totaly due to its smaller size.

If I had to pick just one or the other based on everything, price,efficiancy, and application I would go with the 18.5

Joe

Back