Mocha Rub

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Mocha Rub

1/2 C dark roast coffee (FINELY ground, espresso powdered)
1/2 C Chili powder
1/4 C cocoa
1/4 C light brown sugar
1 T Cayenne
1 T Cumin

To apply this rub, I covered the bottom of a baking pan with about 1/4" of rub and set butt in rub, alternating to cover all sides. Made for a thick coat. Wrapped (plastic wrap) and refrigerated overnite.

No baste....just a good Southwestern bark.

*** Jim M. suggested that turbinado replace brown sugar and New Mexico Chile powder be used.

BTW...This was a great hit SB Sunday.

Last edited:
Cool.

Tasty, no? I particularly like the coffee-chili interplay. The cocoa kind of bridges the two. Definitely try the New Mexico chili powder. I used it in my last one. Very nice.

I just put this rub on a butt yesterday, YUMMY.

SAUCE: No.5 (with T of mustard, and almost TWICE as much rub indicated) VERY GOOD, although hint of grit from the coffee. Maybe shot of espresso would be better.

Thanks for sharing.

I just used this rub on some spare ribs. The whole family really enjoyed it. It tasted like something that would be great with a mole sauce and would be great on beef. We paired it with a sweet glaze (Myron Mixon's rib glaze recipe) and the end product had a lot of complexity. Not really sweet or hot, but a lot of flavors. I'll definitely use it again.

I just put this rub on a butt yesterday, YUMMY.

SAUCE: No.5 (with T of mustard, and almost TWICE as much rub indicated) VERY GOOD, although hint of grit from the coffee. Maybe shot of espresso would be better.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Will take a run at this

Back