Clay pot overflow?

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I thought I saw a thread about this issue previously, but I can't find it now.

I have switched over to the clay pot base and have loved it on the 2 spare rib cooks I have used it for.

Well, this weekend I have a 3 butt cook planned. I'm worried that the drippings from that much pork butt may overflow the 14 inch clay pot base that I have. Anyone ever seen a problem with this?

I have a 12 inch clay base as well though I have not used it for cooking yet. I wonder if it might be better as it will sit lower in the water pan. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you remove the fatcap from the bottom of each butt, I don't believe you would have an overflow problem, but using the 12 inch base might not be a bad idea.

Paul

I've done a 3 butt (8 lbs ea.) cook using clay saucer with no trimming or issues.

EDIT: This was with a 12" saucer. I use the 12" when using the bottom rack for increased air-flow at the bottom rack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Morris:
I thought I saw a thread about this issue previously, but I can't find it now.

I have switched over to the clay pot base and have loved it on the 2 spare rib cooks I have used it for.

Well, this weekend I have a 3 butt cook planned. I'm worried that the drippings from that much pork butt may overflow the 14 inch clay pot base that I have. Anyone ever seen a problem with this?

I have a 12 inch clay base as well though I have not used it for cooking yet. I wonder if it might be better as it will sit lower in the water pan. Any thoughts?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was me. 4 butts plus a full brisket. It almost overflowed. Instead of simple placing the 12" pot base into the water pan I raised it about an inch the covered with foil to create an air space. If you just sit the pot base down into the water pan and then cover the whole thing with foil you won't have a problem. I plan on trying what Paul recommended re: removal of the fat cap. Several other members recommeneded the same stating that there is enough fat and connective tissue within the butt that the fat cap is unnecessary. In addition, you will end up with more brown crust and supposedly easier to pull.

Convinced me.

EDIT: Pictures of my configuration and 12" clay pot base and almost overflow.

Back